Do you shoot with or without...

EasyEd

Regular
Dec 22, 2010
Hey All,

I'd love a Singh Ray Vari-n-trio filter - 4 to 8 stops neutral density and a polarizer all in one - only $580. If you do landscapes with flowing water and the like you need ND filters unless you really want to wait for the right light.

Singh-Ray Vari-N-Trio Filter

-Ed-

olli

Super Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2010
Sofia, Bulgaria
olli
No filters here either. Though I do always use the lens hood to keep some distance between the front element and the elements.

Luckypenguin

Hall of Famer
Dec 24, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Nic
I've acquired filters through various lenses that I've bought and kept the good ones. I agree with the sentiments towards B+W and Hoya UV filters, although B+Ws are heavier because they aren't made from aluminium. There's differences within brands, too. I have a Fotar 77mm UV filter on my Sigma 10-20mm which works fine, but another Fotar UV filter used on a different lens caused a warm tint when it should be neutral.

Djarum

All-Pro
Jul 10, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Jason
I was on my mobile phone in bed last night when I typed my post, so I'd like to clarify more.

On my 17mm - No filter. Never really thought I needed it. Since the lens is fairly compact, I don't worry about damaging it too much. I do have ND filter step ring for it though, so I can use my 58mm ND filters when I need to.

On my 14-42 Kit lens - B+W MRC clear filter. I think I paid 40ish for it. Was running as much as the high end Hoyas. I only use it when I hike in dusty areas or at the beach. Windy areas with lots of dust and sand, usually. For everyday use, I don't keep it filtered. Because of the lens design, I worry more about internal issues than I do breaking the glass on the front.

On my 40-150 4/3 - ND filters only. I don't have a clear filter for it. I only use this lens on occasion, so I find no need for one.

Djarum

All-Pro
Jul 10, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Jason
Hey All,

I'd love a Singh Ray Vari-n-trio filter - 4 to 8 stops neutral density and a polarizer all in one - only $580. If you do landscapes with flowing water and the like you need ND filters unless you really want to wait for the right light.

Singh-Ray Vari-N-Trio Filter

-Ed-
One can be made much cheaper. Hoya made a Poly-fader in a few filter sizes for a while. Not sure if they still do.

Latest threads

Top Bottom