Do you still have a DSLR?

I just can't let go, because I love to shoot in low light, and ISO does become an issue. And I can't see myself using a CSC, I've one foot in both the compact and the DSLR camp, the CSC seems neither fish nor fowl, for my needs at least. I'm confident in time ISO on small cameras will not be an issue, then I'll gladly make the jump

I bought some manual lenses for my e510. If I still don't enjoy it, I might just sell it then. Was also thinking of getting Pentax primes and starting the collection from there because I can easily move onto a Pentax (or future Ricoh).

I bought the X100 last June I think, and it's been my most used camera since I can bring it pretty much anywhere. That being said I still use my D5100 quite a bit: the grip on a DSLR is very useful for telephoto shots, I don't think it would as practical with a micro four third camera for instance (except with a GH2 maybe, but it's almost as big). Also the D5100 has a great sensor and with fast glass it's hard to beat for low light shots, which I do a lot.

yes - I still have my D300 with quite a few modern Nikkor lens plus old Nikon MF glass - would not be without it and will upgrade when I feel that it is necessary, (but I am really happy with the D300) - a year ago I would have said that I would upgrade to FX - but I think that I will stick to the DX format as it gives "longer reach" for the money - I will probably buy a Sigma 50 500mm or a Nikon 80 400 in the next few months as I am becoming interested in bird photography.
I have M43 stuff, lots of MF glass - a Leica M8 with Leica, Zeiss and VC glass, plus a Canon S95 - I find them all useful and they add to the joy of photography

Yes, I still have my Pentax K-5, K200D and nine lenses for them. It's interesting how many people into micro four thirds and serious compacts are also Pentaxians. I have a long-running theory that Pentax people were into the new wave in photography long before others because they appreciate smaller cameras.

I really don't use the Pentax kit all that much these days. But that's not to say I don't use it at all. I'm at a point where I have to decide if I want to finish collecting all of the DA Limited primes for it, just keep the kit as it is for a while... or sell it off. The K-5 or K200D with a DA Limited prime on it is a thing of beauty indeed.

I certainly still like the idea of having the Pentax gear. I think I may wait to see what Pentax does in terms of an APS-C mirrorless camera this year. If the camera is a good one and can use the DA Limiteds, I'll be a happy camper.

I still have my D700 + 24mm f2.8 / 50mm f1.4 / 24-120 f4 / 300mm f4 but have to admit to using it probably twice a year for airshows and for the occasional portrait shoot - I am waiting to see the first "User reviews" of the Fuji X - Pro1 to see if as Fuji claims the IQ matches full frame - if it does, I may be tempted to get rid of the Nikon kit and get the Fuji + 3 primes that will compliment my X100 + GX1 kit.

I recently traded in my M8.2 to get the Fuji + GX1 + 2 "X" lenses and EVF as I was not happy with IQ above 320ISO, dioptre lens prices and 2 issues with LCD - sad as I cut my working teeth on M series rangefinders - Have to say the X100 surpasses Leica IQ and almost matches that from D700 so if X-Pro1 is better I may be tempted as I can't justify keeping a kit I only use twice a year despite the superb IQ.

Have to wait and see but on paper I am tempted.

I have not bought a New DSLR since the D1x came out over 10 years ago. I still use it at work for documentation. At home, still keep a DCS200 from 1992, Nikon E3 from 1998, and Nikon D1. Mostly collector's pieces- but they work, and I use them for camera projects.

I still have my D700 + 24mm f2.8 / 50mm f1.4 / 24-120 f4 / 300mm f4 but have to admit to using it probably twice a year for airshows and for the occasional portrait shoot - I am waiting to see the first "User reviews" of the Fuji X - Pro1 to see if as Fuji claims the IQ matches full frame - if it does, I may be tempted to get rid of the Nikon kit and get the Fuji + 3 primes that will compliment my X100 + GX1 kit.

I recently traded in my M8.2 to get the Fuji + GX1 + 2 "X" lenses and EVF as I was not happy with IQ above 320ISO, dioptre lens prices and 2 issues with LCD - sad as I cut my working teeth on M series rangefinders - Have to say the X100 surpasses Leica IQ and almost matches that from D700 so if X-Pro1 is better I may be tempted as I can't justify keeping a kit I only use twice a year despite the superb IQ.

Have to wait and see but on paper I am tempted.

Ian - how do you find you 300mm f4 - I'm getting into "birding" and going around in circles - there is no way I can afford a 300/2.8 so I looking "on the margins" at Sigma fixed focal and their Bigma 50-500 ....maybe the 300/f4 with a TC could be an option
in the longer end I only have a 70 300mm VR (D300) and a Canon 200mm f2.8 MF which I use on my G1 plus tripod, (for garden shots)

For photographing birds- a 300mm lens would be fine for a crop factor of 1.5x, or with a 1.4x teleconvertor on a full-frame camera.

A 500mm Mirror lens, or 600mm "Solid-Cat" is what I usually ended up using. A monopod was sufficient, tripod even better.

The Nikkor 300/4 is a great lens, with two ED elements. Much less expensive and lighter than the F2.8.

I have not bought a New DSLR since the D1x came out over 10 years ago. I still use it at work for documentation. At home, still keep a DCS200 from 1992, Nikon E3 from 1998, and Nikon D1. Mostly collector's pieces- but they work, and I use them for camera projects.
Quite a collection there Brian...
The stand out for me is the DCS200...bigger than a D3x with the megapixel count of a Sigma DP compact ;) (just kidding folks owned a DP and loved it).
...so you knew early on that it was only compacts for you?

I no longer have a DSLR, I however still have an SLR :tongue: , I still have my Minolta SRT 100 that's collecting dust in my cupboard.
Oh Phoenix that might be begging to be shot with - I assume there's still a lens or two floating around with it in the cupboard? Any stirring of late to take it for a run?

I still have my Rokkor lenses (which I originally used for the SRT) which I now use for my NEX via adaptor. Hmm...I was planning to sell it but you gave me an idea of taking it for a run. We'll see how it goes :)

Well Nikon D5100 is the only left with me with two primes and two very useful zoom lenses (16-85VR and Tokina 11-16 f2.8), other than 3 m4/3 bodies and a XZ-1 for sielent shooting and ease to carry. But no, I didn't took D5100 anywhere with me on last 4 trips I made, other than the only one to Paris.

I don't know, I have been thinking to sell it with all Nikon lenses, just waiting Pany to release its two fast zooms, later this year.

DSLRs are good and mature systems, my only grip is can't stand their C-AF hunt in live view mode, and heavy bulk.

Back