Sony Do you think APS-C Sony has any future?

mike3996

Legend
Sony has been aggressively focusing on FF cameras, and so far it seems like it was the right call. Now the A6xxx series feels a bit neglected, not to mention the lens selection. What do you Sony shooters reckon?

Sony is going for the higher end like other manufacturers. I am waiting for the Sigma 56mm 1.4 lens as a small lens for portraits. Sigma is filling the apsc trinity nicely after 16mm and 30mm lenses.

The big news/rumors roundup: New Sony E-mount camera registered and first 8K FF sensors specs - sonyalpharumors
Sony A7000:
Sony officially registered a new E-mount mirrorless camera in Asia. Usually it will take up to 2 months until this camera will be officially announce. I believe this is the new A7000 or A6xxx. A New High End camera:

– it’s not an A6500 successor
– it has a new design with EVF in the center
– it’s a new High End APS-C camera
– mini-A9
– probably 20 fps and 5.6 milion dot EVF

One can hope they will continue and also not follow the Canon/Nikon tradition of ignoring APS-C glass. But a quick look says differently, only one E mount lens in about 5 years?

At least they have 10 - 105 at f/4 covered and Sigma has the 2 f/1.8s for zooms plus a good number of fast primes.

I agree that the A7 II is hard to beat at that price, especially including the lens, but the A6500 *smokes* the A7 II performance-wise except for high ISO IQ. Big time. It's a much better video camera, too (even if I'm not into video myself), while being smaller and lighter. And while not all Sony APS-C lenses are convincing, the 16-70mm f/4 and 18-105mm f/4 are both quite solid lenses. So, for a mobile hybrid shooter, the A6500 might be a much better choice than everything below the A7 III - and that camera will cost just as much body-only as a A6500/16-70 kit.

So, YMMV - anyhow, I think Sony has done just as much for APS-C as they have for FF mirrorless. I just got out of APS-C (Nikon DSLRs, btw.) because Nikon's Z6 ticks more or less all of my personal boxes, but should I ever return to it, the A6500 would be the camera I'd choose.

btw. I'll keep the A7 II around for the foreseeable future because I adore the 55mm f/1.8 and I'd very much like to keep shooting with that lens. But some of Nikon's planned - or even current - Z primes (and the performance of existing F mount primes via the FTZ adapter) might make me change my mind sooner or later. Good as it is, it's showing its age - already ... The D750 - is still going strong (with some caveats).

M.

One can hope they will continue and also not follow the Canon/Nikon tradition of ignoring APS-C glass. But a quick look says differently, only one E mount lens in about 5 years?

At least they have 10 - 105 at f/4 covered and Sigma has the 2 f/1.8s for zooms plus a good number of fast primes.

If you did not know, you can use any FF lens on the APS-C body. I have any use quite frequently two FF lenses on my A6000.

From what I understand the profit margins are just so much higher on FF that that is where Sony is focusing its time and effort. Plus those already willing to spend $2-3000 on a FF body are more willing to spend $2-3000 on a lens whereas many of us APS-C owners bought into the system for the low price point.

Should read "less shallow" - but you're right about the principle :)

M.
Well, about that... Stopping the full frame lens down 1 stop (and a tiny bit, if you want to be precise) and upping the iso to maintain your shutter speed will give you the exact same result in terms of dof and in terms of light hitting the sensor (which, assuming equal sensor efficiency, will give you the same noise, dynamic range and color depth).

So that really isn't an advantage of smaller sensors. The smaller camera (and lens) size, ofcourse, is.

Ya but as a company, it makes a lot more sense to build a lens that everyone can use rather then a lens only just a portion can use
I'm sure Fuji, Olympus, and Panasonic are happy Canon and Nikon thought the same. Their mirror-less systems are smaller not because the bodies don't have mirrors but because they designed lenses to cover the image circle required. If Sony isn't going to do more than produce updated bodies they should just release a rangefinder FF, it wouldn't be that much bigger than the A6500. JMHO

Attachments

• 2018-11-27_11-14-46.jpg
    2018-11-27_11-14-46.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 203
  • 2018-11-27_11-14-59.jpg
    2018-11-27_11-14-59.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 2018-11-27_11-15-27.jpg
    2018-11-27_11-15-27.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 112
Well, about that... Stopping the full frame lens down 1 stop (and a tiny bit, if you want to be precise) and upping the iso to maintain your shutter speed will give you the exact same result in terms of dof and in terms of light hitting the sensor (which, assuming equal sensor efficiency, will give you the same noise, dynamic range and color depth).

So that really isn't an advantage of smaller sensors. The smaller camera (and lens) size, ofcourse, is.
This comment shouldn't even have been directed at me because I didn't claim that the initial statement told the full story, but I also don't feel it's truely valid: If you want to match Sony's latest APS-C sensors with that kind of approach, you have to get an A7 III. And add suitable lenses. Which will leave you with a bigger, heavier setup that costs more. For instance, to get a superior Sony setup to the A6500/16-70mm combo, you'd have to buy the (clearly superior!) 24-105mm FE - and would end up with a package 50% more expensive and 100% heavier than the APS-C setup (according to local prices).

To be clear (because I *tried* it and looked at the results side by side): The A7 II's sensor *isn't* one stop better in any respect than the A6500's - or even the A6000's. I know that because I've actually used the latter's cousin in the D5500 extensively - and that camera is more or less the equal of the A7 II up to ISO 3200, above which I wouldn't use either. The A7 II even shows worse chroma noise above ISO 800 - you can just about correct for that in post because it preserves a tad more detail. This is why I had such a hard time letting go of the D5500: That camera delivered IQ second to none, especially when paired with the stunning Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8. However, that lens negates the size advantage of APS-C - big time (pun intended). I did keep the A7 II for the time being - because while I only own three native lenses (only one of which is made by Sony), I also own six adapters - and I'll say here that I think the A7 II (not the A7 III!) is still the best body for adapting lenses to because you can get all the most useful features for a very fair price.

However, I'll also maintain that APS-C is probably a better choice for some, if not many people - and the A6500 is stiff competition for the A7 II. More to the point, to my mind, it's not even a fair contest because the APS-C model wins most direct comparisons when shot with suitable native lenses - thankfully, the FF model is now a lot cheaper. If I were a hybrid shooter, I might pick the A6500 over even the A7 III - because I'd get a large portion of the performance in a clearly more mobile package (for less money, too). Two lenses, the 16-70mm f/4 zoom and the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 prime, and I'd be good to go. But as always, YMMV.

M.

Last edited:
Yes, it has a long, drawn out neglected future. New bodies, maybe another new lens or two. Uprevved older lenses. Same way Canikon managed APS-C once their FF business took off. It won't go away, but it will never be as complete with lenses for the imaging circle size as e.g. Fuji or m43.

Reminds me to look for a lightly used Nex6.

Am I missing something- the NEX6 has a 2.4megadot "XGA" viewfinder, same resolution as the A7RII? It looks like the A7RIII bumped the viewfinder resolution up ~50%?

Sony is rumored to release a new APS-C flagship soon. Some are saying it will be similar to the 6600 with the new AI AF, screen, and some other amenities from the A7RV, and others think it will be in a FF body. They’ve already hinted it will have the same 26MP sensor as the new vlogging camera they just released.

Back