Does anybody else think that CCD sensors have a slightly different "look" to the images they produce?

The problem here is that this is a mostly subjective assessment and it's really hard to hard to get clean comparisons. (I just realized that maybe DPR has some studio comparisons. I'll look later) I keep coming across phrases like "the files are equally good but the latter are more pleasing to the eye", and you can't really argue with that. A different example of this is that some folks complain that a certain camera's files look "clinical". I may be sensitive to that one because I often like those images. I like these kinds of discussions because photography, like any art form, has a large subjective aspect to its appreciation. As far as this discussion is concerned, I think the CCD sensors give a nicer "of out camera" look but the CMOS files are much more flexible in PP. Of course, JMHO. :D

Last edited:
As far as this discussion is concerned, I think the CCD sensors give a nicer "of out camera" look but the CMOS files are much more flexible in PP. Of course, JMHO.
Not only yours - I fully agree. However, by extension, that means that most probably, CMOS sensors can deliver CCD-like images - it's just a question of the right PP.

I do love the images coming from the M8 and find them very "organic", so to speak, but the M10's files are much more malleable - and can look just as pleasing as the M8's in the end while delivering on clarity and detail in a way the older camera just can't match. And let's not even begin to talk about low light performance ... though I created a high-contrast b&w profile for the M8 that still looks good enough at (nominal) ISO 1250. But that's JPEGs - the DNGs need *a lot* of work to look decent (which is in part due to the M8's limited 8bit DNGs ... what a bad decision on Leica's part; RAW is avaible, but not without a bit of fiddling).

Anyhow, shooting older digital cameras can be quite rewarding - especially if your objective is online display and sharing. Smaller, well-defined files with punchy colours and nice tonal transitions are just the thing for that purpose.

M.

Back