Fuji Does My X-A1 Make the X100T Unnecessary?

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
As many of you already know, I have regretted selling off my X-E1 and 18mm lens recently. But I made a rapid, partial recovery by picking up a new-in-box X-A1 body for $200. I now use my 27mm f/2.8 pancake on it with excellent results. Meanwhile, I have a credit with Amazon.com that would allow me to buy a new X100T for very little out-of-pocket expense. I have been thinking about the X100 series for a long time and I suspect that if I don't buy this time around I never will. Now, I realize I no longer have a built-in EVF - and no X-Trans sensor - with the X-A1. But a 41mm equivalent isn't far from 35mm and I wonder if I should be pursuing the X100T at all. I'm clearly getting similar image quality.

Other options include the Panasonic LX100 and perhaps an X-E2 body along with a Canon G7X for pocket work. But the X-E2 probably means I'll have to chase more Fuji glass down the road, whereas all of the other cameras on my list avoid that in different ways. Since it's fun to talk and spend other people's money - and I have time to consider this purhcase - I'd love to hear form my fellow Xspot members on this.

Get used X-E2 and another lens for what you'd pay for the X100T.

That said, I miss my X100S and think it's one of the best, if not THE best fixed lens platforms on the planet. Any planet.

I'm waiting to hear more on the LX100 lens quality. That was the downfall on the Panny LF1 for me -- nice, compact, had an EVF... and a terribly unsharp lens. Bought an RX100 and sold it months later. TERRIBLE camera to actually use IMO despite being a winner image wise.

Regardless of what you get, you'll eventually want other focal lengths and be back in buying glass -- or another fixed lens camera. At least, that's how it would work with me, lol.

No really good answer to your dilemma, Steve -- my best to you in making a decision.

I'm awaiting for the LX100 to arrive at my store so I can do a hands on test since F1.7 24mm is one thing I do want to test.

The samples look good but I think they are at default noise reduction which I find to be a bit too aggressive.

If I had the X-A1, I rather just get more primes for the X-A1. I really ridiculously like the 23mm F1.4 and since it costs less than the X100T, I rather get that.

I'm awaiting for the LX100 to arrive at my store so I can do a hands on test since F1.7 24mm is one thing I do want to test.

The samples look good but I think they are at default noise reduction which I find to be a bit too aggressive.

If I had the X-A1, I rather just get more primes for the X-A1. I really ridiculously like the 23mm F1.4 and since it costs less than the X100T, I rather get that.

Very much in agreement on the 23mm f/1.4.

If Panasonic has something quality wise with the LX100 kind of like the LX7 I used to have (and also miss, lol) then it could be a winner. That was a great camera/lens combo. Hope it's more like that.

For me, the X-A1 wouldn't cut is as my main camera as it's missing a viewfinder. Not sure if that's as critical for you.

As for the X100T, I think you have to decide whether you want a fixed prime lens camera or an ILC. Even so, you could get the wide and tele converter lenses for the X100T and essentially have a 28/35/50 focal length system.

I have an X100 but also have the X100T on pre-order and will be purchasing the wide and rele converter lenses as well.

Tough call as it all depends on the type of photography that you shoot. If you shoot street and general photography, I can't think of a better solution than the X100 series other than the excellent Ricoh GR series (GR, GR3, GR4). Even though the GR doesn't have a built-in viewfinder, an OVF can easily be added to them

For those who don't know, after being way-over cameraed for a long time, I sold off a bunch of gear, including most of my Fuji stuff, my entire Panasonic micro four-thirds kit and more. But I still also have my Pentax DSLR kit with a number of lenses (zooms and primes) and the Ricoh GR. The Fuji stuff isn't really a need as much as a want right now.

As I get older I could see myself moving over to Fuji completely. But, after after taking so many years to build my Pentax kit, I'm not quite ready to let it go and it still gets some use. And, yes, I generally prefer a viewfinder but the GR has been just fine and so has the X-A1, especially because I have cameras with viewfinders if I absolutely must have one.

But I may be beginning to answer my own question because I suspect that, at some level, I regard the X-A1 as an excellent second camera, the way I do the GR to my K-5 kit. So I could go X100T or X-E2 (I'll probably not opt for X-T1 as long as I have a real DSLR)... unless the LX100 turns out to be a must-have.

For the longest time, I've been a Canon DSLR shooter and currently still shoot with a Canon 5D Mk.II although to be honest, I've been using it less and less over the years as I've been preferring to shoot with smaller and lighter cameras in recent years.

Although I've always had a compact in one form another along with my DSLRs, it wasn't until I picked up the Ricoh GR Digital III in 2009, that I started taking the image quality more seriously. It doesn't have the resolution or as clean of a file as my larger cameras but it was obvious that the lens was fantastic, the processor/sensor was doing something magical with the files and the ergonomics and user interface was the best I've encountered on any camera up to that point. The more I used it, the less I found myself using DSLRs.

The X100 series is a continuation of the Ricoh GR series in that it provides that same outstanding, fast prime lens along with a magical processor/sensor and great ergonomics and interface. It has it's quirks, but for the most part, Fuji nailed it with this camera.

I also bought an Olympus OMD EM1 earlier this year because I wanted a small ILC system that I could carry everyday instead of my Canon. It was really a toss up between the XT1 and the EM1 but in the end, I preferred Olympus' lens lineup as well as the m43 lenses being physically smaller and lighter. I may in the near future get an ILC Fuji body but it won't be with any of the current bodies. An XPro-2 would be ideal but curious to see what the next iteration of the XT1 will be like in the next year or two. And the takeaway for me is that my current Canon will probably be my last DSLR which I'll continue to use until it dies and then I'll part ways with the lenses. Like many who switch to Fuji or Olympus, Canon/Nikon DSLRs offer me no real advantage (for my photography) over smaller and lighter mirrorless cameras these days.

For the longest time, I've been a Canon DSLR shooter and currently still shoot with a Canon 5D Mk.II although to be honest, I've been using it less and less over the years as I've been preferring to shoot with smaller and lighter cameras in recent years.

Although I've always had a compact in one form another along with my DSLRs, it wasn't until I picked up the Ricoh GR Digital III in 2009, that I started taking the image quality more seriously. It doesn't have the resolution or as clean of a file as my larger cameras but it was obvious that the lens was fantastic, the processor/sensor was doing something magical with the files and the ergonomics and user interface was the best I've encountered on any camera up to that point. The more I used it, the less I found myself using DSLRs.

The X100 series is a continuation of the Ricoh GR series in that it provides that same outstanding, fast prime lens along with a magical processor/sensor and great ergonomics and interface. It has it's quirks, but for the most part, Fuji nailed it with this camera.

I also bought an Olympus OMD EM1 earlier this year because I wanted a small ILC system that I could carry everyday instead of my Canon. It was really a toss up between the XT1 and the EM1 but in the end, I preferred Olympus' lens lineup as well as the m43 lenses being physically smaller and lighter. I may in the near future get an ILC Fuji body but it won't be with any of the current bodies. An XPro-2 would be ideal but curious to see what the next iteration of the XT1 will be like in the next year or two. And the takeaway for me is that my current Canon will probably be my last DSLR which I'll continue to use until it dies and then I'll part ways with the lenses. Like many who switch to Fuji or Olympus, Canon/Nikon DSLRs offer me no real advantage (for my photography) over smaller and lighter mirrorless cameras these days.

I'm with you on the DSLR front. I have a Pentax K-5 that I've had no problems with and earlier this year I picked up a K-5 IIs body for under $500 on close-out simply because it was ridculously cheap and easy. I'll probably use these bodies until either the end of their natural, useful lives or until carrying them becomes too much of a burden for me. But I haven't been motivated to buy the newer K-3 and see no need on my part for resolution greater than 16mp on an APS-C sensor.

Quite different cameras with very different firmware. X100T is about 1.5 - 2 generations ahead of the X-A1. Not to mention leaf shutter vs. focal plane shutter, flash sync., hybrid viewfinder etc.

Back