Fuji Does X-T20 suffer from shutter shock?

mesmerized

Regular
Dear Users,

Since X-T2 is a bit out of my reach for the time being, I've been pondering over getting an X-T20. I've been digging in the Internet and searching for images, reviews, and whatnot, and yesterday I found some comments on DPreview (from users, not the reviewers) saying that X-T20 produces softer images than X-T2 and that might be the result of shutter shock.

Would you be able to confirm or deny the existence of shutter shock in X-T20?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Users,

Since X-T2 is a bit out of my reach for the time being, I've been pondering over getting an X-T20. I've been digging in the Internet and searching for images, reviews, and whatnot, and yesterday I found some comments on DPreview (from users, not the reviewers) saying that X-T20 produces softer images than X-T2 and that might be the result of shutter shock.

Would you be able to confirm or deny the existence of shutter shock in X-T20?

Thanks!
Not that I've noticed. DPR is pretty tough on shutter shock issues and they haven't noticed anything. IIRC, most of the worst shutter shock issues are result of the shutter and the IS system interacting.

I downloaded the iso 200 RAW file studio image form the DPR review and examined it at 100% and I couldn't see any definitive shutter shock. I suggest you just do the same. Since the X-T20 doesn't have IBIS, you do have to be careful to hold it steady if the lens isn't stabilized. If I can't see a problem, I certainly don't rely on the comments section for recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears to be the same shutter as in the X-T10, X-T1, X-E2S, X-E2 etc.

So if true, the net should be filled with reports about blurry images due to shutter shock.

Also, there should be a noticable difference between images taken with the MS vs. the ES under otherwise identical conditions. Again, if true, there should be plenty of reports demonstrating this.

It appears to be the same shutter as in the X-T10, X-T1, X-E2S, X-E2 etc.

So if true, the net should be filled with reports about blurry images due to shutter shock.......
I only have the X70, but am a big m4/3 user. If there was an issue you'd hear a lot more about. It's pretty easy to find information about the issue on m4/3 bodies. As a result both Olympus and Panasonic have had to release firmware updates and completely redesign shutters because of it. The latest Panasonic shutter redesign and how it reduces shutter shock are actually included in the official press release.
Press release:LUMIX GX85 - Newark, NJ (April 5, 2016) .....The LUMIX GX85 adopts a new electromagnetic drive in the shutter unit. The shock caused by the movement of shutter diaphragm is dramatically reduced and the shutter sound is also minimized.....
And Fuji has been possibly the best camera company at addressing issues. So if it was an issue we'd probably have heard about if from Fuji directly.

Yeah this is a red herring. Compared to things with mirrors, the shutter sound and "shock" is practially non-existant. And, of course, electronic shutter is always there as long as nobody's moving around too much.

Back