Dogs Dogs (part II)

1000014962.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Contemplating about dog biscuits ... probably.

1000015044.jpg

A wild new kind of Pokémon appears :p

1000015048.jpg

Part of the first series of testing out my Sigma 56mm f 1.4 DC DN Contemporary, building an impression of the lens and learning it's quirks and character.

1000015040.jpg

My first impressions is that the lens renders exactly how I would have hoped. It has the DoF very close to what I used to get with 35mm FF setup. Actually it reminds me a lot of Sony FE 85mm f 1.8 and the midrange focal length of the Tamron 70-180mm f 2.8 VXD.
What I have also learned that the 20 MP stacked sensor of the OM-1 doesn't handle the Dehaze feature from Lightroom. The RAW files get crunched to hard in the shadows and the blacks and I can't do the usual +25 I was used to do. I am in the process of using this setting a lot less now.

1000015027.jpg

The C-AF with the Sigma lens and subject detection on is decent but falls behind the Olympus PRO zooms (that I own, don't know about the primes). It does lock on for a few frames then it lags behind as she runs around, I get about 3-7 frames sharp then 5-10 frames slightly out of focus (drifts towards the ears or the shoulders). Because of the 20 (25 Pro Cap) FPS I get sufficient images in focus by sheer numbers but there are moments where I get the perfect pose/position but not perfect focus. The Eye detection is not great, she has to be very close to engage the subject's eye detection and the lens struggles with DoF and motor speed to keep up.
The eye detection and tracking on OM-1 is very far behind the Sony A7 IV.

1000015038.jpg

The f 1.4 helps a lot in low light and the shade, keeping the shutter speed high enough and the ISO low enough to get the best DR and details in the shadows and black furr.

1000015029.jpg

But the AF speed does drop quite a bit, lowering the pin sharp focus images to 5-10 images out of the entire buffer of a burst at 20 FPS.
But I wouldn't give up on the DoF and rendering of this lens, it's the kind of look that I would be happy with. Though I do need to test the lens with larger dogs since size affects (the subjects) speed, distance (between the background, the subject and how far I need to be to the dog) and overall rendering of the lens.

1000015030.jpg

Larger dogs move faster, making distance changes even more difficult on the AF system to keep up, a faster burst like 25 and 50 FPS helps get more images of the right moment. The right moment usually is flopping ears, big smile or tongue sticking out, the position of the paws to give a sense of movement, speed or (sometimes) emotions. The position of the tail van help as well, like a tail swinging to the side when turning, giving the subject the sense of motion towards a direction. Also catching light in the eyes can be fleeting, mostly on cloudy days or under vegetation.

1000015017.jpg

Standing still it's quite easy and quick to get the focus, which would work well with very well trained dogs and older dogs ... Not so much with my "fireants in the pans" YorkieRussel.
On the focal length I do find it unusual. I think I got used to 70-80-85mm from all the lenses I have tried and used in the last 3 years and going to 112mm feels a bit of an extra work to previsiualise. Which is unusual for me because I haved as my most used lenses the:
*Revuenon 50mm f 1.8 (100mm on M4/3) from 2011 to 2016,
*Sigma 60mm f 2.8 DC DN Contemporary from 2016 to 2018,
*Olympus 14-54mm f 2.8-3.5 Mark II and 50-200mm f 2.8-3.5 Mark I from 2018 to 2019
*Panasonic Leica 50-200mm f 2.8-4 from 2019 to 2021 (after I broke my Oly 50-200mm)
I had a lot of lenses that end or start at 100mm equiv. but I quickly got used to the range of Tamron, Olympus Pro and Sony lenses. It will probably take a couple of months to get use to the focal range and "see" it as a second nature.

View attachment 458265
A wild new kind of Pokémon appears :p

View attachment 458266
Part of the first series of testing out my Sigma 56mm f 1.4 DC DN Contemporary, building an impression of the lens and learning it's quirks and character.

View attachment 458267
My first impressions is that the lens renders exactly how I would have hoped. It has the DoF very close to what I used to get with 35mm FF setup. Actually it reminds me a lot of Sony FE 85mm f 1.8 and the midrange focal length of the Tamron 70-180mm f 2.8 VXD.
What I have also learned that the 20 MP stacked sensor of the OM-1 doesn't handle the Dehaze feature from Lightroom. The RAW files get crunched to hard in the shadows and the blacks and I can't do the usual +25 I was used to do. I am in the process of using this setting a lot less now.

View attachment 458270
The C-AF with the Sigma lens and subject detection on is decent but falls behind the Olympus PRO zooms (that I own, don't know about the primes). It does lock on for a few frames then it lags behind as she runs around, I get about 3-7 frames sharp then 5-10 frames slightly out of focus (drifts towards the ears or the shoulders). Because of the 20 (25 Pro Cap) FPS I get sufficient images in focus by sheer numbers but there are moments where I get the perfect pose/position but not perfect focus. The Eye detection is not great, she has to be very close to engage the subject's eye detection and the lens struggles with DoF and motor speed to keep up.
The eye detection and tracking on OM-1 is very far behind the Sony A7 IV.

View attachment 458283
The f 1.4 helps a lot in low light and the shade, keeping the shutter speed high enough and the ISO low enough to get the best DR and details in the shadows and black furr.

View attachment 458285
But the AF speed does drop quite a bit, lowering the pin sharp focus images to 5-10 images out of the entire buffer of a burst at 20 FPS.
But I wouldn't give up on the DoF and rendering of this lens, it's the kind of look that I would be happy with. Though I do need to test the lens with larger dogs since size affects (the subjects) speed, distance (between the background, the subject and how far I need to be to the dog) and overall rendering of the lens.

View attachment 458287
Larger dogs move faster, making distance changes even more difficult on the AF system to keep up, a faster burst like 25 and 50 FPS helps get more images of the right moment. The right moment usually is flopping ears, big smile or tongue sticking out, the position of the paws to give a sense of movement, speed or (sometimes) emotions. The position of the tail van help as well, like a tail swinging to the side when turning, giving the subject the sense of motion towards a direction. Also catching light in the eyes can be fleeting, mostly on cloudy days or under vegetation.

View attachment 458295
Standing still it's quite easy and quick to get the focus, which would work well with very well trained dogs and older dogs ... Not so much with my "fireants in the pans" YorkieRussel.
On the focal length I do find it unusual. I think I got used to 70-80-85mm from all the lenses I have tried and used in the last 3 years and going to 112mm feels a bit of an extra work to previsiualise. Which is unusual for me because I haved as my most used lenses the:
*Revuenon 50mm f 1.8 (100mm on M4/3) from 2011 to 2016,
*Sigma 60mm f 2.8 DC DN Contemporary from 2016 to 2018,
*Olympus 14-54mm f 2.8-3.5 Mark II and 50-200mm f 2.8-3.5 Mark I from 2018 to 2019
*Panasonic Leica 50-200mm f 2.8-4 from 2019 to 2021 (after I broke my Oly 50-200mm)
I had a lot of lenses that end or start at 100mm equiv. but I quickly got used to the range of Tamron, Olympus Pro and Sony lenses. It will probably take a couple of months to get use to the focal range and "see" it as a second nature.
Fantastic images Ovi.

Groomers nightmare
Normally she is pretty good about that, but she's coming out of a rough patch right now and needs to be given a little more patience. She had a severe hip problem and her diabetes caused her to go blind. She just had both issues surgically repaired. Amazingly, and I had no idea this was possible, they restored the eyesight in both her eyes. At the same time she underwent hip surgery. They decided to do both procedures at once to limit the time spent under anesthesia.
Now she's on a major regiment of daily eyedrops until her eyes heal from the surgery, and she is undergoing physical therapy to recover from her hip surgery, which incudes walking on a submerged treadmill. The current prognosis is she should be ready for the beach this summer!

P8163010.JPG

This is her in better days in her favorite role playing a lifeguard at the beach.

Another batch of finished edits:

1000015172.jpg

Fool'ya Just can't get her to run towards a puddle to catch her reflection .... She keeps deflecting it :p

1000015171.jpg

Singing the Pink Panther song

1000015170.jpg

Coming out of the closet to eat?

1000015176.jpg

Oh s£&@, the mud IS wet Major soggy doggy malfunction :p

Back