Dogs Dogs (part II)

I think you will agree that Tara looks fit and healthy. Just as she did when I picked her up from the foster home back in early August.
Sadly though she has paid visits to the vet at least twice a week on average.
Now after three tests an diet changes it's confirmed she has Inflammatory bowel disease.
Unfortunately there is no cure. It can be managed to a certain extent with a diet of prescription foods
and steroids. The steroids will continue for another month and then they will only be given during bad times.
Her other issue is a severe case of separation anxiety . I mean she can't be left alone at all.
So far she has destroyed my dash cam, badly chewed my phone. (case only luckily) and almost chewed through
the passenger seat belt.
But she is mine now, and I will take the rough with the smooth.
And she loves me. So i can forgive her anything.

45825446541_61e9c7b9f7_b.jpg
DSCF7275
by Garry, on Flickr

I think you will agree that Tara looks fit and healthy. Just as she did when I picked her up from the foster home back in early August.
Sadly though she has paid visits to the vet at least twice a week on average.
Now after three tests an diet changes it's confirmed she has Inflammatory bowel disease.
Unfortunately there is no cure. It can be managed to a certain extent with a diet of prescription foods
and steroids. The steroids will continue for another month and then they will only be given during bad times.
Her other issue is a severe case of separation anxiety . I mean she can't be left alone at all.
So far she has destroyed my dash cam, badly chewed my phone. (case only luckily) and almost chewed through
the passenger seat belt.
But she is mine now, and I will take the rough with the smooth.
And she loves me. So i can forgive her anything.

View attachment 189961DSCF7275 by Garry, on Flickr

Oh poor girl.... and poor you! Little B is on steroids at the moment too. He has "bottom" trouble :( He also has a heart murmur. Last week the vet gave him a 3 out of 6 but it hasn't changed since the summer. Waiting to see if Petplan will pay £300 for his echocardiogram.

Tara was lucky to have found you.

And our Charlie was lucky to have found us. He has Addison's disease and gets a shot every 24 days, and a steroid pill daily. For the most part, the disease stays in check. But I don't want to do the math for what all those pills and shots will cost us over the span of of 15 or 16 years.

Not that it matters.....he is priceless.

That separation anxiety can be tough, good luck to you and Tara.

The cost of a true companion is not monetary. Even if you can afford the most expensive doctors and the absolute best care, the final cost is immeasurable. It's 100% worth it, but also, leaves a huge hole in your heart when they leave.

I've been a member of Amin's forums for a little while now, so some might know or have seen the some pictures over the years. But here's a brief history of the best dogs ever :)

Started in 2002 with a cattle dog pup (Sally) that was found in the country with two broken back legs and dislocated hip. We help pay to save the legs and a nice doctor thought they could be saved. Two pins and a femoral head ostectomy later, the idea was to rehabilitate and adopt out the dog. That failed and started us down the cattle dog path. We lost Sally suddenly in 2004 (on Christmas eve of all days) to an unknown disease. Started 2005 with TWO (Lilly & Luna) cattle dog puppies from different litters (states) but only 4 days apart in age (HUGE mistake, BTW). Lilly was taken from us in 2016 (on Thanksgiving day to the C-word), Luna left us earlier this year due to kidney failure. The wife adopted an older mastiff mix (Kanji) to "retire" with us but he left us just two days ago (same cancer as Lilly). Since Luna's passing this year, the wife has been in contact with Luna's foster mom in Arizona and wouldn't you know it, she has another cattle dog pup. Wife flew down to AZ and now, we have a new puppy. Gemma. She's about 3-months old and is estimated she was born close to when Luna passed.

20020820-8200002.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sally - Before her surgery... animals adapt so well; she was walking completely on her front legs when she was found. Amazing. Even more amazing was her spirit after whatever tragedy happened to her. She was a really happy dog until the end.

10M00001.jpg

The Ladies (Lilly & Luna). This was just a couple weeks before we said goodbye to Lilly (left).

P3180870.jpg

Kanji. Only had him for about 8 months. I preferred to call him "dumb dumb" and he was fine with that :)

DSCF3314.jpg

Gemma. Day one. Time will tell, but this look is not promising. :D

Let the new adventure begin. Sorry for the long-ish post.

Few from yesterday... It is very hard to keep him still, so I had a chance while he was figuring out where the squirrels were hiding...

w-DSC04426-2.jpg
w-DSC04431-2.jpg
w-DSC04435-2.jpg
w-DSC04436-2.jpg

Back