Don't you hate it when...

wt21

Hall of Famer
You go out and do a purposeful hour long shoot, only to realize at the end that you've done the whole thing on ISO3200 by accident.

Argh.

haha. not for an hour but it happened when I forget to turn the autoISO mode off. What happens more often is that the exposure comp dial has switched accidentally. I feel sorry for you. arghh
You go out and do a purposeful hour long shoot, only to realize at the end that you've done the whole thing on ISO3200 by accident.

Argh.

Yep. I once took a few really nice shots (IMHO) of the shadow of a couple walking hand-in-hand on the beach. It was just before sunset and their shadow was projected onto a wooden fence. Then I looked at the pics and saw ISO 1600, which on my Pentax K100D was a bit on the noisy side.

But what's worse is when you think you have a nice set of photos, only to see that the ISO was too low and the resultant slow shutter speeds caused the photos to be blurry. Far worse than too-high ISO, IMO.

it's a darn good thing that you're a camera junkie and have cameras where ISO3200 is usable. Just think if you done that 5 years ago

I did think of that. I went outside with an ND8 and CPL attached with the intention to shoot wide open. So, I never saw a low shutter speed, though 1/640 in broad day light should have clued me in. At least they are well exposed, which helps supress the noise a bit.

I've done this a few times before (not usually with ISOs this high; maybe around 800) but I've twigged fairly early that the shutter speeds don't look right and I'm also a frequent chimper (including zooming in) so I'll spot any extra noise fairly quickly.

it's a darn good thing that you're a camera junkie and have cameras where ISO3200 is usable. Just think if you done that 5 years ago

Five years ago my Canon 350D didn't even have ISO3200!

Now that I sold the LX7, I'm pretty much down to just having cameras where 3200 isn't a problem at all - particularly in good light where its not creating much noise anyway. 12,800 would be another story, but I've never come close to having this happen. I had this happen at 1600 once back in my EP2 days, and 1600 on an EP2 was fairly ugly - much worse than 3200 on anything I'm shooting with today...

-Ray

It happens to everybody I guess, it's just a matter of how long you notice it.

Although it's better than going somewhere to shoot and finding out you did not have a single memory card with you. :mad:

Not done this, but have shot a whole 36 exposures of my other half saddling up and trying a new horse, oh the joy on her face, only to find the lens cap still firmly in place. Neither of us forgave Leica for that :hissy:

I already posted this picture before. It was taken by a Panasonic GX1, set at ISO 12800 by accident. Even though largely out of the GX1's confort zone, I like this self-portrait... noise/grain can be interesting.

_1000184_sc.jpg

That brings back memories. When my wife and I were on our engagement trip many years ago, and someone took some photos of us during our engagement dinner, the film turned out to be not loaded properly. I can still remember that! I would have preferred ISO3200 shots (and the one with the warming filter you posted looks good!)
I guess in the old days, it was shooting just to realize you never loaded the film.

It happens to everybody I guess, it's just a matter of how long you notice it.

Although it's better than going somewhere to shoot and finding out you did not have a single memory card with you. :mad:

A few years ago I took a camera on a short day trip and found the battery warning blinking when I took the camera out for the first time and only got about five shots before it died :blush:. It was during my buy-on-eBay, try, sell-on-eBay camera testing phase so no spare battery.

Back