Don't you hate it when...

When I was in Berlin, I (accidentally) shot about 2/3 of my shots at ISO 1600. Thankfully, Samsung NX20 is rather good at this ISO, so it was not a total waste of time and effort.

I've done this. If done in good light it gives the images a certain look but the RAWs clean up just fine. Of course, the best shots like this are busy scenes like streets and not the pastoral splendor of western Virginia.

You go out and do a purposeful hour long shoot, only to realize at the end that you've done the whole thing on ISO3200 by accident.

Argh.

Much worse with film. I was on this once in a lifetime vacation with 100 asa film set to 800. This is how one learns for the rest of life to check on the asa setting.:D

Allow me to set the scene: it's the first official lunch date with a lovely girl. She's keen on photography and wants to learn more, so off we go for a stroll through the city, and I show her my favourite haunts and scenes. All along I'm taking photos of her laughing, smiling, and playfully shooting back at me. All goes well, and I drop her at the train station as we both have things to do later that day.

At home, I upload my raws and start to check through them. But something is amiss. Everything looks super grainy and desaturated, like I've been shooting ISO 1600 film into the sun or something. But it's not, it's digital. Somehow I've set the camera on ISO 12,800 for most of the day.

I did this too when on holiday in seville with my then new NEX5, set it to iso 6400 because I thought it said auto! Today I left my GR in macro mode whilst busily snapping landscapes :(

Yeah, I've never done it for more than a few shots, but I've definitely accidentally set stuff to ISO 3200/6400 and once even to ISO 12,800 thinking it was ISO 120. Fortunately I've usually noticed when it looked overly grainy on the LCD but a few times I didn't spot it until I got home.

Definitely no fun!

I just remembered: when I first visited the US, I had an unfamiliar camera with me (Fujifilm X-S1) which I accidentally set to shoot JPG instead of RAW. I shot like I usually shoot RAW (exposed to protect highlights and bring up shadows later in post) — it was an utter disaster, I was able to save only a handful of shots.

Back