Leica DOS rules, BABY!

You actually got a Nikon DF! My closet is bulging now and no room for more cameras. Every time I get rid of one I regret it. I think if more consumers had a chance to use a camera with real dials and buttons instead of a menu for most things then they would demand same from the manufacturers. Poking data into the image files is very cool. I haven't done that yet but I should look up the format so I can. All I do commonly now is poke header data into music files since I abhor dealing with music editors for simple tasks like removing crap from the beginning or end of these files.

I wrote a custom HEX dump program in FORTRAN that looks for words and writes them out, along with an Offset. "NIKON Df" appeared up front, then wrote the small code to just change the value. 20 minutes. I started with a code written almost 20 years ago. Moved the files to a CF card to run in a DOS window on WIN98. I'll put DOSBOX on the WIN7 machine.

I bought my first DSLR 20 years ago. The Df- It is to the SLR photography what the M9 is for rangefinders. I don't think Nikon will do a Monochrome version. But this sensor might have enough uniformity for it.

I wrote a custom HEX dump program in FORTRAN that looks for words and writes them out, along with an Offset. "NIKON Df" appeared up front, then wrote the small code to just change the value. 20 minutes. I started with a code written almost 20 years ago. Moved the files to a CF card to run in a DOS window on WIN98. I'll put DOSBOX on the WIN7 machine. I bought my first DSLR 20 years ago. The Df- It is to the SLR photography what the M9 is for rangefinders. I don't think Nikon will do a Monochrome version. But this sensor might have enough uniformity for it.

I saw just one b&w posted somewhere today, and it was beautiful. Probably serious compacts, and they might be stretching that 'compacts' term a little (depending on where the thread is), but any way I look at it, if that camera inspires people to crank out photos like that b&w, let's have more.