Down on the beach and back with the XF1

Darren Bonner

Regular
Name
Darren
A quick walk down to the beach around sunset yesterday afternoon just with the XF1 on auto EXR mode.

11467762055_c67f6cfe99_b.jpg

sun setting view (1 of 1) by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

11467887316_8982b2c014_b.jpg

sun setting view (1 of 1)-2 by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

11468559455_fe86c5f6c6_b.jpg

girder (1 of 1) by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

11468606674_80a9605482_b.jpg

girder (1 of 1)-2 by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

11468702636_a36764a8ac_b.jpg

pebble (1 of 1) by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

11468753403_b6e465a3b3_b.jpg

coloured rock (1 of 1)-2 by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

11468741746_cb9a6dda72_b.jpg

Beach huts (1 of 1) by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

11468675515_921a6f5cd2_b.jpg

trees (1 of 1)-5 by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

11468863733_f3e8a38286_b.jpg

trees (1 of 1)-7 by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

Lovely shots. I'm fast coming to the conclusion that EXR Auto is the best way to use this camera. I feel bad saying that but it just works!

Thanks for the kind comments, I would like to try the other EXR modes and see what I can do with them as there are more options available than the auto mode.

...and their in lies one of the biggest frustrations with the X series cameras built around the EXR sensor. There's no exposure compensation or bracketing available on EXR auto either.

However, EXR Auto does do remarkably well most of the time. On my X10 with 6MP files I often struggle to better what it does by setting up manually.

So, in my opinion, if EXR Auto does a good job for you then by all means use it.

EXR Auto is the name of the camera's "idiot mode", meaning the camera recognizes a scene and automatically selects a suitable scene mode. It's the same mode as SR+ (Scene Recognition Plus) in other Fuji cameras w/o EXR sensor, such as the X20, X-A1 or X-M1.

EXR Auto is a great option for users who don't know much (or anything) about photography. The camera does all the work. This mode is also nice when someone borrows your camera and doesn't know how it works. It's literally "point and shoot", because that's pretty much all the user can do in this mode.

It's important not to confuse EXR Auto with the other EXR modes (EXR HR, EXR DR and EXR SN), as these modes are actual exposure modes that allow for plenty of user interaction and options. Sadly, these modes don't save RAWs (they did with older EXR cameras like the HS20EXR), so once again, these modes have become a no-go for me.

RAW files are saved in PASM modes and in the "camera symbol" mode, the latter basically being P mode with less options (to be less confusing for inexperienced shooters). "Camera symbol" is the mode I'd set when I hand the camera to someone else who doesn't know it. That way, I get the RAWs, so I can later try to rescue subpar shots in the internal or an external RAW converter.

Those who own the camera and like to be in control choose PASM modes. The typical setting for all Fuji EXR cameras is image size M, as this allows the camera to choose between EXR SN and EXR DR (and the standard "ISO DR" mode) as appropriate. There's a strict set of rules that determines which EXR mode the camera will select under which exposure settings, but those rules aren't entirely trivial. They mostly depend on ISO settings.

I'm aware of the 'rules' for setting up the EXR sensor and regularly use them with my X10. I was merely pointing out that a) given how difficult it is to use The RAW files and that B) the results from auto EXR are often more than acceptable then using Auto EXR is sometimes a good thing. If that makes me an 'idiot' then so be it. Happy Christmas.

I'm aware of the 'rules' for setting up the EXR sensor and regularly use them with my X10. I was merely pointing out that a) given how difficult it is to use The RAW files and that B) the results from auto EXR are often more than acceptable then using Auto EXR is sometimes a good thing. If that makes me an 'idiot' then so be it. Happy Christmas.

Since all X series cameras feature an internal RAW converter, the RAWs aren't difficult to use at all.
Also, "idiot mode" doesn't imply that the user is an idiot, but that the mode is "idiot proof", aka there aren't any options/settings anyone could misuse or willingly/unwillingly change.

It was after all you who said that there in lies one of the...

biggest frustrations with the X series cameras built around the EXR sensor. There's no exposure compensation or bracketing available on EXR auto either.

Not providing RAWs and not allowing EC or bracketing are features in order to render EXR Auto idiot proof. It would be very unwise to allow unwitting users to shoot their entire vacation with the EC set to + 2 EV. There's also no focus frame selection.

Perhaps I didn't express myself correctly. Let me start again and say it differently. This is the other frustration that not many (if any) photo editors seem to handle the 6MP files. My compromise is to shoot JPEG and auto bracket and do minor corrections in Aperture.

I

One of the biggest frustrations with the X series cameras featuring the EXR sensor is that they are 'difficult' to set up manually (due to the number of options and 'rules'). Compare this to shooting with, say, the X100 which is comparatively easy to set up. This is just my opinion of course.

Why the EXR Auto mode is appealing sometimes is that if one doesn't have the time or inclination to fiddle with the settings then it's a pretty good option.

The in camera RAW camera is fine of course but seeing the results on the small LCD isn't comparable to seeing them on a computer screen.

Hey Rico, sorry either I or my iPhone messed that one up somehow putting the last paragraph first! Does it make more sense if you read it that way?

The in camera RAW camera is fine of course but seeing the results on the small LCD isn't comparable to seeing them on a computer screen.

That's why I usually look at them on my computer, then decide what to change in the internal RAW converter.

Btw, LR/ACR works great with 6 MP RAWs.

One of the biggest frustrations with the X series cameras featuring the EXR sensor is that they are 'difficult' to set up manually (due to the number of options and 'rules'). Compare this to shooting with, say, the X100 which is comparatively easy to set up.

Actually, there isn't much of a difference between the X100 and a XF1 in PASM modes. Both cameras feature the same DR expansion function. Forget about EXR, it's just an underlying technology. It's not important to know when the camera chooses EXR DR or ISO DR. The results look identical. Indeed, even when set to EXR DR, the camera will often choose ISO DR (and then display EXR DR in the playback window), so the camera is basically lying in order to not confuse the user.

So, IMHO, you can use the XF1 just like the X100. Just make sure to use 6 MP mode (size M) and set it to DR Auto (or pick a manual DR setting according to your needs), exactly like you'd do with your X100 when you are shooting JPEGs. Look at the live histogram and the exposure preview, correct the exposure as necessary.

Thanks for the Lightroom tip. I use aperture for casual stuff and Photoshop ACR for more 'serious' images - but my PS won't support the latest ACR.

Apologies for sounding slightly confrontational but I still think that these EXR based cameras are good but just frustratingly difficult to get the best out of manually compared to X series cameras higher up the product range.

I'm confused now! Are you saying that if intend to use EXR DR expansion whilst choosing say ISO 100 then the camera will choose whether to use EXR DR or bump up the ISO?

Back