Sigma DP1m first file shot after turning on takes longer to write.

timetraveller

I recently got a DP1m

When I turn on the camera and shot a picture it takes 25 sec in writing to the card.
Next shots only takes 14sec.

If I turn off and on again, the first shot takes 25sec again.

I shoot raw+jpg at high res.

If I shoot jpg,I get longer time of writing in the first shot too. 2nd and next files takes less time to write.

I have reset the camera,upgraded de firmware and nothing changes.

I've checked with other friend that has the camera and it doesnt happen to him.

Any ideas??

Defective unit,maybe?

How fast are your sd cards. I use 95mbs cards. Your typical 16mp digital camera is around 15-16 mb. A dp1m raw has three setting for raw and jpg.. If u are using large jpg and raw, u are talking around 50 mb write operation to the sd card... More than three times normal for a 15mp sensor raw output and to that the processing operations to create a raw and jpg file, even w/ dual processors in the path, the dp Merrill series tends to e slow on write operations. The good thing is that even w/ large jpg and raw, it has a seven shot buffer...

Gary

How fast are your sd cards. I use 95mbs cards. Your typical 16mp digital camera is around 15-16 mb. A dp1m raw has three setting for raw and jpg.. If u are using large jpg and raw, u are talking around 50 mb write operation to the sd card... More than three times normal for a 15mp sensor raw output and to that the processing operations to create a raw and jpg file, even w/ dual processors in the path, the dp Merrill series tends to e slow on write operations. The good thing is that even w/ large jpg and raw, it has a seven shot buffer...

Gary
Thanks Gary,

I'm referring to the FIRST SHOT after turning the camera on.
Second and next shots takes the usual 14secs to write.

If it's the card, it would take long time to write the files EVERY TIME :),
not only in the first one!

My card is 45mb by the way. I was told that above 30mb it makes no difference in the write time,as it depends on the camera itself to process the files. 30mb/45mb/90mb takes 14secs for all of them to write a raw+jpg at max resolution.

How fast if you just shoot RAW? RAW should be your fastest write time.

Let me explain myself again:

I'm not talking about how fast is the camera, I'm talking about how fast it is writing just the first file after turning it on...

In subsequent shots,times are Ok: Raw only and raw+jpg takes the same time in my camera 14secs

Just checked with other card...IT WAS THE CARD!!!

It's a extreme sandisk 45mb, it's odd because it works ok in my other cameras....

Thanks for your answers!!!

It was a good thing you figured it out.

If I were you I might ditch that card......I had one that seemed to be writing slowly, and one day it stopped writing. Lost a few days of pics.

Just checked with other card...IT WAS THE CARD!!!

It's a extreme sandisk 45mb, it's odd because it works ok in my other cameras....

Thanks for your answers!!!

The other cameras were most likely writing out raw files that were small enough not to affect the initial cache buffer operation prior to the flash write to the sd card. I suspect that 50mb is much greater than the normal cache buffer for these devices. If these are the multiple sd cards are from same manufacturer and exactly the model and spec, then there can be a couple of issues here:
- old card with bad flash sectors (sd flash has limited write life or usage damage)
- card is out of spec
- card is really a illegal one (someone put a brand name label on a cheap sd card or factory second). There was an writeup about this a while ago.. Cannot rambler where now.

Any glad u found your problem..

Gary

I have the exact same issue with my EX1, albeit less severe; first shot takes about 6 or 7 seconds to write, subsequent shots take about 2 or 3 seconds. I've had it from day 1 with a (100% certain official) Sandisk 30mb/s card

I have the exact same issue with my EX1, albeit less severe; first shot takes about 6 or 7 seconds to write, subsequent shots take about 2 or 3 seconds. I've had it from day 1 with a (100% certain official) Sandisk 30mb/s card

It's interesting what you say. It's indeed as severe as with me proportionally: the card doubles the time of writing the first file: from 3 to 6 in your case, and from 14 to 25-26 in mine.

I think it could be a compatibility issue of this model of card.
I have tried 3 cards since I discovered this: eye-fi 8gb, lexar 133x, trascend 16gb. All of them has worked flawlessly.

Back