Sigma DP2 Merrill first images

The banding is very visible in the middle grey part of the color chart, especially from ISO800 and up, but also at 400.
Funny, the banding on my DP1X is horisontal, on the DP2M it's vertical.

Edit: Silly me, the DP2M color chart samples were shot in portrait. The banding is the same direction as on the DP1X. :doh:

The banding is very visible in the middle grey part of the color chart, especially from ISO800 and up, but also at 400.

I can even see hints of banding on the grey bar at ISO100 (on my calibrated CRT at work).
Probably of no consequence in real-world shots at ISO 100, but it shows, that it's not a problem created by any high ISO processing, but a general characteristic of the sensor/image processing... :(

I'll ask again... What causes vertical/horizontal banding? I've see people complain about it in other cameras. Is it a sensor property, an ISO property, or something else? Can someone please explain it for us? Thank you.

I think my question will have to be answered before we can answer your question. The sensor seems to be giving higher or lower responses in large connected groups of pixels on the sensor. It could also be some kind of noise in the electronics. I suspect it is caused by a manufacturing defect.

I'll ask again... What causes vertical/horizontal banding? I've see people complain about it in other cameras. Is it a sensor property, an ISO property, or something else? Can someone please explain it for us? Thank you.

I think my question will have to be answered before we can answer your question. The sensor seems to be giving higher or lower responses in large connected groups of pixels on the sensor. It could also be some kind of noise in the electronics. I suspect it is caused by a manufacturing defect.

I don't know the cause, but it's been suggested to expose correctly (for the shadows) and don't go crazy with the sliders in Sigma Photo Pro. I guess the camera is really fussy on how to use it.

I think it's the early adopter penalty. Not all cameras seem to have the problem. I hope by the time I get around to buying one, the problem will be fixed.

Back