Sigma DP2 Questions

Herman

The Image Stimulator
Name
Herman
Hi guys, hello ladies.
I got a DP2, autumn brings fields of colors to us, so I thought I got to go outside one of these days for a DP shooting.
A few questions:
Q1 Which mode is best for shooting?
Q2 ISO setting
Q3 How to update firmware
Q4 Focus setting
Q5 Tips from you, any, let me (us) know

I do look forward hearing from you, thanks.

It takes 3 pictures each time I press shutter release, how to set to take just 1 pic? (auto bracketing may be on)
Current settings: Vivid, P-mode, wide (16:9), fine.

Keep de discussion going, thanks.

Thanks Luke. Battery empty. Spare battery charging. It takes 3 pictures which is great for HDR shooting. Now I wonder if Picasa supports HDR? Hope it does.

I can give you more specific advice later, when I have more time. In the meantime, I can give you an excellent document compiled by a DPReview member Solsang:

Dropbox - Error

Have fun, Herman. It's a difficult camera and you should try RAW for the best results. The photos are worth it once you master it.

Hi guys, hello ladies.
I got a DP2, autumn brings fields of colors to us, so I thought I got to go outside one of these days for a DP shooting.
A few questions:
Q1 Which mode is best for shooting?
Q2 ISO setting
Q3 How to update firmware
Q4 Focus setting
Q5 Tips from you, any, let me (us) know

assuming you have an original DP2, not a DP2m:

Q1 I prefer A (aperture priority), a lot of the time with a bit of negative exposure compensation, evaluative metering
Q2 ISO 100 or 200 for best results
Q3 I've got 1.04. Is there a newer one?
Q4 I've set the AEL button to Focus Lock only and focus on any good edges at the depth where I want focus to be
Q5 shoot RAW :) Standard Color Mode, I'm not using AutoWB, on a sunny day I set it to sun, the rest of the time to cloudy (outdoors that is - indoors you want to set it to tungsten/etc of course)

To switch bracketing off click the "OK" button and then the "arrow up" (of the two arrows at the top right) until the green +- at the left of the screen says +-0

And it's not a difficult camera as such in my opinion, it just needs a bit of patience to use ;)

cheers,
Tilman

That's good to hear, Herman. As for your questions on the original post, my answers are very similar to Tilman's. However, I use evaluative metering with +0.3 or +0.7 exposure compensation (but only do this if shooting RAW - the highlights can be recovered in almost all cases).

As for Q5 - My tip is to use to appreciate its simple nature. The reason I called it a "difficult" camera is because many of us have certain expectations for a camera. It's actually one of the simplest to operate. I love a large DOF. When everything is in focus, I am more careful of where I "place objects" with respect to my subject. Much of my DP1 work is done at f/5.6 at ISO 100, with focus set in between the "5" and "2" meter marks on the focus wheel (I don't know what that distance is; it certainly isn't 3.5 meters!). At these settings: The image is noiseless, most of the scene is in focus, and the lens is nearly at its sharpest. The only work I have to do is to compose. I pay attention to the shutter speed, so that I know when to set the camera down for long exposure or when to keep it hand-held.

Hi all,
I'm wondering as to the viability of a DP2 today; I have chance to pick one up and am curious if you're using one and what you think.

Regards,

Bruce

Back