Sigma DP2M clouds

That's a very nice shot. Every time I think about selling my DP2s I end up taking a photo that highlights the cool capabilities of the Foveon sensor and I just hang onto it.

I just looked through some SD Merrill threads on Flickr. Someone tell me I am just imagining that there is something special about many of those photos. I have never marked so many favorites on any other threads. There is a depth that I have to say does not seem rational since all photos are just two dimensional, but there is a special feeling of depth with many that I saw. Do others of you think this or am I just seeing what I want/expect to see?

I just looked through some SD Merrill threads on Flickr. Someone tell me I am just imagining that there is something special about many of those photos. I have never marked so many favorites on any other threads. There is a depth that I have to say does not seem rational since all photos are just two dimensional, but there is a special feeling of depth with many that I saw. Do others of you think this or am I just seeing what I want/expect to see?

That's the Foveon magic at work. It's not as night-and-day as comparing a 2D movie to a 3D movie but there are significant advantages to the fact that the Foveon sensor doesn't use Bayer pattern interpolation to "guess" at image data that wasn't recorded.

I just wish Adobe did a better job handling Foveon RAW data in ACR so that I don't have to use Sigma Photo Pro 5 every time I need to edit an image from my DP2s. SPP isn't horrible by any means ... I'm just used to the ACR interface and I prefer to use that. Unfortunately, ACR just doesn't do as good as SPP when it comes to producing a final image that retains the "Foveon magic."

Back