Fuji DPR Review of X-E1

I don't shoot moving children so I was just guessing. ;)

Ha ha. The problem with children (well, one of them!) is that even when they're not moving, they're still kinda moving somehow. No such thing as still, at least in any of my three little ones, under 4 years of age. :)

I don't find that AF speed or tracking has anything to do with my success photographing my kids. If they are moving a lot, in the unpredictable and haphazard way small kids tend to move, I can forget about AF. Nikon pro DSLR AF tracking is useless, and I have to rely on anticipation, pre-focus, zone focus, etc. If they are relatively still, then any AF is good enough. The only reason I get more keepers with the Oly than my other cameras (DSLRs included) is better face recognition.

I don't find that AF speed or tracking has anything to do with my success photographing my kids. If they are moving a lot, in the unpredictable and haphazard way small kids tend to move, I can forget about AF. Nikon pro DSLR AF tracking is useless, and I have to rely on anticipation, pre-focus, zone focus, etc. If they are relatively still, then any AF is good enough. The only reason I get more keepers with the Oly than my other cameras (DSLRs included) is better face recognition.

Good point. I don't have much need for it, but when I did the face thing on my GF1 was really helpful.

There was discussion in another thread about Fuji leaving face detection off the the larger sensor X-Series cameras. If it had been successfully implemented I'm guessing it would completely solve the issues I'm having and I would have no issues with the X-E1 whatsoever. Is there any technical reason why it couldn't have been included on the X100/X-Pro 1/X-E1?

The D700's pro AF wasn't too shabby...

35c2f52a5c6df27ec2523e59f993a2c8_48e.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

b35ff015e2ba17ab748259ba8b9bbfbd_48e.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The D700's pro AF wasn't too shabby...

Those are exactly the kind of action shots that can be done with any AF camera. You know where the action will be and pre-focus. (I'm not saying that's how you got the shot, but it's how I get that shot). Plus the DOF is deep enough to cover. Incidentally the D700, a camera which I used to do thousands of shots of my kids, is exactly the camera I had in mind when I said that I never found pro AF to be worth much when photographing my kids in action.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

This bird flew past me at close range, and the Fuji 35/1.4 locked right on:

8495453069_54f7d10562_b.jpg

Heavy crop of the same shot to show focus point:

8495453237_36e66a5df5_b.jpg

That's not to say the Fuji 35/1.4 focuses quickly. It's fairly slow to focus but usable for many things.

Now here's an interesting quote from Mike Johnston of The Online Photographer (TOP) about taking his Nikon D800 to a dinner party (source):

I'm rather astonished at how badly it autofocused. Clearly operator idiocy (er, error) is not ruled out
[*], but it seems that with a single focus point activated the camera isn't very happy in low light. A number of times I half-pressed the shutter button only to be met with—nothing; only a cretinous quietude, as the camera waited passively for me to ask it to do something it could actually do.

*Anyone who follows TOP knows better than to suspect operator error from Mike Johnston here.

If I'm going to shoot track and field, give me a Nikon or Canon DSLR. If I'm shooting a dinner party, Micro 4/3 has the best AF around IMO. For shooting kids playing and jumping around, I'll stick to tried and true pre-focus/zone focus; AF speed matters only a little, and AF tracking even less.

The optical hybrid finder is wonderful, and being a glasses wearer I love having the picture area framed with the white lines. I can see the whole shot, which even in my much loved E-M5 EVF is hard sometimes without jogging your head back and forth. That part of the faux rangefinder experience really is appealing.

Let's see, what was this thread about? Oh yeah, the DP Review of the X-E1. Hmmm.

I forget if I agree with them or not ...

Ah, what I do know is that Claire has one cute daughter who already knows French better than I ever will. :)

Nah. Just kidding. Unlike the federal government, my discretionary budget was cut severely after getting married! Although I'm thinking if I sell off enough stuff, I might be able to afford one in 2-3 years. Maybe if we can score a "loaner" from BH!!!

LOL!! Actually, I keep thinking about "re-getting" stuff (primarily the XP1/XE1). BUT, I haven't yet! I just talk about it. Only camera I've ever had twice is the OMD. Started with black one. Then traded a XE1 for a silver one. And then traded off the black one.

Back