DPReview.com to close

Wow, wow, wow. Tells you the state of the photo gear industry. Also, I am sure this is part of Amazon's push to turn to profitability. They have lost BILLIONS (literally - billions) on their home hardware business, and have announced more layoffs today.

Prepare for more traffic on sites like this one, I'll bet. And the moderator headaches that may come with some of the more "loose cannons" finding a home (maybe we can point them to reddit pages, haha)

Wow, wow, wow. Tells you the state of the photo gear industry. Also, I am sure this is part of Amazon's push to turn to profitability. They have lost BILLIONS (literally - billions) on their home hardware business, and have announced more layoffs today.

Prepare for more traffic on sites like this one, I'll bet. And the moderator headaches that may come with some of the more "loose cannons" finding a home (maybe we can point them to reddit pages, haha)
I was actually wondering whether this might affect Fred Miranda which up till now I've seen as a Dpreview forum but without the arguing. (To be fair, FM is a lot better than that).

From an article I've seen... so sad to think that poof all those years of content will just be gone

DPReview.com will remain active until April 10. Following that date, the site will enter a read-only mode for a limited period. After that, the website will go offline, its massive library of content seemingly lost forever. It's a major loss to photographers.

Absorbing the mu-43 purge wasn't that difficult here. As they general attitude between Cameraderie and mu43.com was similar and/or complementary. I'm not sure the same can be said for DPReview refugees. We shall see, I guess.

That crossed my mind when I read about it. We'll have to wait and see. I have no time for "loose cannons" of the type you're referring to, though - I made only very few attempts at joining discussions on DPR before becoming frustrated with the tone and quality of the responses over there and giving up on the forum. I'm certainly not going to put up with anything of that kind.

However, the staff has done a lot of great work over the years and the site became a kind of hub for me when looking for solid technical information; the quality and consistency of the content is really second to none. So, DPR grew into the entry point to my daily photography news roundup. I'll miss the site for that reason alone. I hope the online archives will allow us to access the content for the foreseeable future, though.

As for Chris and Jordan, I'd be surprised if they didn't find another home - since they joined, the DPReviewTV channel has grown tenfold (at least).

M.

Back