DPReview.com to close

Surely, selling Ads is the name of the game, we, the photographers are just fodder! The camera market is shrinking fast, cellphones have taken over and with these millions upon millions of photos are taken daily, shared and used by a multitude of communities. When my car needed bodywork repairs, the estimator took 15/20 shots on his phone, then emailed them to the insurance company, within the hour he had the acceptance to proceed with the work.. We must move with the times. Regards ScleralGuy
All that is old is not bad, nor is it that all that is new is good.

What serves a meaningful purpose usually survives ...

As I made clear to Netflix, one advertisement, and I'm gone.
We have their top level subscription.

How people can PAY FOR subscription television, then put up with adverts is beyond me. Unlike many, I have a very long memory. At the introduction of pay TV, the promise was NO ADVERTISING.

The fact is, we may dislike Adverts/Advertising, but, the price we pay for certain services are subsidized by the revenue from adverts. I still remember when ITV first came to the UK television service, Murraymints, Washing Powder, Toothpaste & many I cannot remember. Then, it was part of the entertainment package, now it's a continual interruption to the programs. Advertising is now a very sophisticated segment of our lives.
Many of our decisions are made from some subliminal messages we pick up somewhere along the line.. Regards ScleralGuy

Here's an interesting question. This particular forum is as subject to take over as any other. How much would you be willing to pay yearly to keep it the way it is?

Here's an interesting question. This particular forum is as subject to take over as any other. How much would you be willing to pay yearly to keep it the way it is?
Right on the money, so to speak.

Kevin doesn't charge us anything, but we can make things quite a lot more bearable for him.

As for me, even though I went for a lifetime subscription immediately, I wouldn't mind paying the same amount yearly. But then, this is a bit like home for me; I can't expext anyone to see it that way.

M.

I don't mind a monthly subscription, but, it should be noted before one joins the club as one might say.. It baffles me, someone starts a website, they know the costs involved plus all the problems that will arise. If once done, why not say up front $xx to join!! Regards ScleralGuy

I don't mind a monthly subscription, but, it should be noted before one joins the club as one might say.. It baffles me, someone starts a website, they know the costs involved plus all the problems that will arise. If once done, why not say up front $xx to join!! Regards ScleralGuy
Valid point, even though I don't think Steve's question was meant to suggest that for this site, and neither was my response. Kevin pretty much knew what he was getting into when he took ownership, and there's no move towards ad support or mandatory payments as far as I know. This is an enthusiasts' site front, back and center.

It's just that I like the fact that I can support a site I really care for without having to endure unwanted "attention" (ad tracking) or nag screens. As it is, Supporter status is a way of showing our appreciation for the site and the service. Not at all mandatory - but a good way of keeping things running with minimal fuss. And we certainly don't want to make newcomers think they need to contribute, that's why it's basically hidden away. I think that we're all in it for the community, not for personal gain; that said, I don't think anyone's looking for personal loss, either. For me, being a member here is a win, whatever it may "cost" me.

Anyhow, I can't read Kevin's mind and certainly can't speak for him, but my impression is that we're not in any danger of being sold off ...

M.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I doubt Netflix knows or cares about your ultimatum! :whistle:
Andrew,
1) they know, along with many, many others publicly or privately making the same statement; and
2) there has been sufficient backlash for Netflix to publicly acknowledge subscriber sentiments; and
3) Netflix has publicly stated that there will be no advertisements on existing account levels.

They are cracking down on account sharing when not at the same physical address, and they are introducing a bottom rung, cheap subscription that does have advertising. Both these latter should improve their bottom line after the media created a panic out of natural churn, a hundred thousand or so closing their accounts when the subscriber base is about a quarter of a billion accounts ...

And:

Note: in that second link, the author/s claim that Netflix lost 1170 million subscribers from a base of ~230 million! What they meant was 1.170M, as was correctly (more or less ... ) stated later in that same article, before the statement that they actually picked up some 8.7 million subscribers in Q4 of 2022 ...

Just media hyperbole. Reminds me of some posters on DPR ...

It's a try before you buy system.

The miserable pittance most of us pay, meets the costs incurred by the site owner, Kevin (substantial!). ~$20 USD p.a. is irrelevant in the scheme of things. Almost everything I spend money on costs me more than that. A new bulb for one of our bug zappers will cost me AUD 22.50 ...

I would buy a lifetime membership, except that I would almost certainly make a loss on that ... ;) :( .

Kevin already knocked back an offer from Vertical Scope to buy the site, and has stated that he has not the slightest intention of selling the site. Good enough for me.

And, as Matt has already said, this place, and the people here, makes this like home to me.

Over the last several years I've entered a few Challenges at DPR. Most are voted middle of the pack to the back pages, including some that I would've thought would do better. On occasion an entry would make the front page of the particular challenge and I did manage to pull off a first and a couple on second place finishes, but that hasn't happened in awhile.

Then today I noticed...

Wow! Second place in a pretty competitive challenge! Yay me! It figures that now that I have a recent "almost won" to point to they are going to shut it down. Oh well, at least I can say I went out with a bang!

Over the last several years I've entered a few Challenges at DPR. Most are voted middle of the pack to the back pages, including some that I would've thought would do better. On occasion an entry would make the front page of the particular challenge and I did manage to pull off a first and a couple on second place finishes, but that hasn't happened in awhile.

Then today I noticed...

Wow! Second place in a pretty competitive challenge! Yay me! It figures that now that I have a recent "almost won" to point to they are going to shut it down. Oh well, at least I can say I went out with a bang!
If you’re happy with that then you should be, well done.

My feelings about these news are a bit mixed, although they are more on the positive side. Considering the doomsday mood along DPR ever since they have set a clear termination date, delayed that date and then simply nothing happened without any clear info on whether or not the site and forums will suddenly disappear for good, I think the whole situation was a mess for the whole community over there. I know it is not the fault of DP Review's staff, but rather Amazon.
On the brighter side: DPR continues and it was one of those rare situations, where the passion of employees, media and last but not least community helped to divert a seemingly ultimate closure ordered by a huge company. I never understood why Amazon didn't bother trying to sell the whole website but rather decided to simply delete it, not only from a business point of view, but also as a clear demonstration Amazon respects their assets and in this case a whole community around it.

I won't return to the DPR Forums, but I am glad the extensive database and knowledge of the whole DP Review website remains online and available to everybody.

Well, time will tell.

Trumann Prevatt posted some generic financial info about Gear Patrol, and at first glance, they aren't the most well funded entity in the world.

His words were it seemed to be quite a stretch for GP to make this "acquisition" and he hoped it all worked out.

I parenthesized acquisition as I suspect the purchase price was negligible. Certainly far less than Amazon paid Phil for it so long ago.

The unfortunate part is the time/effort/resources that went into some of the supplemental sites (dprevived, etc) expended shortly after the initial announcement. I suspect with the latest announcement the cognoscente (or the plinks and drogues as I like to call them) will come streaming back now, if they hadn't already done so.

I had drifted away from DPR before the announcement, and truth be told it became a much less unpleasant place in the weeks after the announcement. Unfortunately things were returning to "normal" in the last month or so as those who had departed came back.

Back