Fuji dpreview: X20?

otalp

Regular
In spite of the high resonance among enthusiasts, after three months there still is only an X20 preview published on dpreview.com.

I wonder why...

In my opinion dpreview takes his time for every non-canikon product. But I like their reviews as much I loathe their forums :)

I used to pore over the DP reviews when I was interested in a camera, but now I really just look at the specs, perhaps some of the layout and control sections and then read the conclusions. I'm finding that I'm really much more interested in reading firsthand reviews of products from people on these forums and blogs and what they like and dislike about a camera than looking at test charts or 'this camera compared to that at ISO 26500' and the mundane (in my opinion) sample photos sites like DP review post with their reviews. In just about every camera I've purchased I've found that what are typically noted as major weaknesses I would never have even noticed had I not read the review. On the other hand, there may be one or two small usability items that are glossed over in a review that end up being deal killers for me.

I do agree both of you. The dp-reviews are interesting to read, but as with all reviews better not take them literally. It is best to scroll though a number of different reviews.

The dpreview forums proved to be of no use for me.

However, I would like to see them compare the X10 and the X20...

I used to pore over the DP reviews when I was interested in a camera, but now I really just look at the specs, perhaps some of the layout and control sections and then read the conclusions. I'm finding that I'm really much more interested in reading firsthand reviews of products from people on these forums and blogs and what they like and dislike about a camera than looking at test charts or 'this camera compared to that at ISO 26500' and the mundane (in my opinion) sample photos sites like DP review post with their reviews. In just about every camera I've purchased I've found that what are typically noted as major weaknesses I would never have even noticed had I not read the review. On the other hand, there may be one or two small usability items that are glossed over in a review that end up being deal killers for me.
There are some things I like about DPR and some I don't. I really like the take the time to "correct" or comment their reviews (like the note about the firmware update on the X100 review). I appreciate the neat specifications and the first sections (body and design, with measurements and details on certain parts of the camera. I usually then skip the pixel peeping sections and jump to conclusion and samples.
If I'm not sure about buying or not, I like to read reviews from forum members (these forums, not the dpr ones :) ) and reviews-sample photos from pro (ie: not Ken Rockwell) who likes the camera, but I find dpr ones very complete and detailed when I need info on a camera I already have or don't know.
I also use it at work to compare compact cameras specifications and sometimes for reviews (I sell electronics in a shop) so I appreciate the huge database they have.

How 'bout Imaging Resource? When I first learned of the X20 I went looking for X10 reviews on the body and handling. Imaging Resource's seemed better for real-world use than DPreview's. I have no idea which is more likely to get an X20 review out first.

I find DP Reviews to be a valuable resource for the clean and detailed photos of the camera being reviewed; I couldn't care less for their actual reviews.

Regarding the OP's question: for many cameras, a preview is all you're gonna get from DPR nowadays. If they give a camera a full review, that usually means it's something special or something they really like, and it'll usually get either a silver or gold award (something like 9 out of 10 full reviews get one nowadays). I think the X20 could be special enough to warrant a full review, but we'll have to wait and see. They're pretty slow with the full reviews!

I think DPReview and ImagingResource have the most thorough and consistent reviews out there. Having said that, I pretty much stopped reading the pixel peeping parts of the reviews; like ean10755, I read the intro, handling, and conclusion parts. Sometimes the features and photographic tests parts too, if I'm really interested in a camera.

Particularly the high-end cameras have gotten so good nowadays that I'm almost certain to be pleased with the IQ in 99% of the situations, so other features like size, handling, focal length, jpeg engine, and durability become more important. The conclusion and scorecard will tell me how the IQ compares to the competition, and if it's clearly better (or worse), that's something I'll take into account. But I find myself looking more and more at the various real-world reviews. Thom Hogan, and to a lesser extent Ming Thein, are my favorite real-world reviewers.

Here's the link:

Fujifilm X20 Review: Digital Photography Review

Couple of interesting observations regarding the "comparison" tool for cameras in the "conclusion" session.

- Sony RX100 can't be chosen for comparison with the X20:
- Panasonic LX7 is rated with better RAW, JPG and low light/high ISO performance;
- Canon G15 is rated with better AF and low light/high ISO performance; and,
- Both the LX7 and G15 are rated as having better optics.

I don't think you can really judge 2 cameras based on the length of those bars alone; the comparison tool shows how a camera compares to the current "state of the art". For instance when camera A comes out and it outshines everything else up to that point, it'll get very high scores, because it's better than the competition; if camera B comes out a while later with the same abilities as camera A, it'll probably get lower scores in the comparison tool, because it's "only" level with the already existing state of the art, instead of improving on it.

I'm not a big DPR fan but they did this review rather well. Let's remember that when they post a review, it's looking at the camera as more of a tool.
They get to the nuts and bolts and that's what they should do. The creative aspects of using the camera is really up to the shooter.

They did the right comparison between the X10 and the X20 and worked the differences. They also found where improvements could be implemented.

For me, I don't like that Olympic rating system and the 77 rating stuff either. All I know is, I had the X10 and loved the camera. I felt freedom by having it all in a compact. Then the Raw issue came up and I sold it. The X20 fixed the Raw issue and improved an already great camera. I have it. I use it. I love it. I hope not to sell it.

Disappointing review. Leaving out the DR comparison is unforgivable, it is the most important aspect users would like to compare, especially since DPR already tested he DR of the X10. Their official lame excuse when I asked about this: "It is quite difficult". So?

Also, the lack of fundamental technical understanding that comes to light by stating that the OVF should have a live histogram, is staggering. They could just as well have stated the camera's inability to defy gravity and fly loopings as a negative. Is it just Jeff Keller having no clue, or ist this the new DPR? I can hardly imagine an Andy Westlake delivering such a "review".

Also, the lack of fundamental technical understanding that comes to light by stating that the OVF should have a live histogram, is staggering. They could just as well have stated the camera's inability to defy gravity and fly loopings as a negative.

IMO, the criticism about the lack of histogram on the OVF is nitpicking, particularly as part of the "conclusion" listing the "cons," which I see as a list of the most glaring weaknesses in the camera. Most enthusiast compacts don't even have an OVF to begin with. My one cent.

IMO, the criticism about the lack of histogram on the OVF is nitpicking, particularly as part of the "conclusion" listing the "cons," which I see as a list of the most glaring weaknesses in the camera. Most enthusiast compacts don't even have an OVF to begin with. My one cent.

Yep, it is simply impossible to display a histogram w/o adding an LCD display to the viewfinder. That would make the X20 a much larger and more expensive camera. So this notion is pretty much on the same level as an auto review criticizing that the vehicle can't fly. I am not even aware of any DSLR camera offering this feature in its OVF.

Back