DPR’s Best Camera under $2000 costs $2499

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
:doh:

$2,499 is less than $2,000 you say ...

200.gif

Thom Hogan pointed this out on his site. I figured it was some perverse deal or whatnot but it was just flat wrong. The funny part it that they have an "over $2000" category but the R6 wouldn't win in that one.

The price of camera bodies today is ridiculous....or my memory is bad. I feel like when I got into this hobby, EVERY camera would have been in the "under $2,000" category.

And now some of them that are in that category aren't even under $2,000?!
Originally camera companies were racing to the bottom, but the Japanese camera conglomerate realized this was a dumb idea and they all agreed to keeping high price margins akin to 2003! :D

It really makes you question DPR's objectivity. They didn't even review the Nikon Z6II yet and by all accounts seem to be a very good camera retailing right under $2000 USD!
I think they're probably just less organized/methodical than dpreview back in the olden days was. (read: they now just publish content for contents sake)...

Another article that made me raise an eyebrow this morning:
"Is the new Sony A7S3 better than the five year old A7S2?"
Answer: yes - in every single comparison point. What a newsworthy revelation indeed :D

I think they're probably just less organized/methodical than dpreview back in the olden days was. (read: they now just publish content for contents sake)...

Another article that made me raise an eyebrow this morning:
"Is the new Sony A7S3 better than the five year old A7S2?"
Answer: yes - in every single comparison point. What a newsworthy revelation indeed :D
Ugh, I don't trust any of these websites. I recently was linked to a Phoblographer.com article which was telling you why you should sell your old camera gear and then the article was marked as sponsored by MPB.com, a website that buys and sells used camera gear!

Honestly I'm getting bored of fluff content. It seems everyone has an opinion and their opinion is better than everyone else and you should click to find out why!

Last edited:
Don't know why, but I definitely miss Phil Askey these days. He was a cranky old lot, but he knew his stuff and refused to suffer fools lightly.

But you could say that about virtually every online resource that was acquired buy "the suits"....

Saying that, they just coerced Roger Cicala of Lens Rentals fame to come in as an unpaid writer. I've followed his stuff for a while and enjoy reading his stuff, and he is definitely not afraid to "tell it how it is".

Last edited:
I bet they got a lot of grief over that, but they didn’t want to rewrite the article. Changing the title was the easiest thing to do. Makes you wonder why they did it in the first place however.

I bet they got a lot of grief over that, but they didn’t want to rewrite the article. Changing the title was the easiest thing to do. Makes you wonder why they did it in the first place however.
I think they're putting out these "list" pieces because they generally need things to write about during the pandemic. Not enough new product.

I think they're putting out these "list" pieces because they generally need things to write about during the pandemic. Not enough new product.
There's a lot of stuff they could write about. There are new products being released every month and yet I never read or hear about the new lenses, adapters, and other cool things that get released. For example Christopher Frost on Youtube reviews every cheap and expensive lens he can get his hands on. DPR ignores probably half of what gets released and if they do mention something, it's just a minor news blip.

They must have had a particularly "off" week :)
They not only changed the "sub2000$" headline - they also in the meantime changed "A7S2 vs A7s3 - which one is better?" to "A7s3 - what's new and why it matters"...

That aside - I think they're mostly resting on the laurels of dpreviews reputation...
No idea why I still go there to read headlines, but I do... It's dpreview! (Haha)

In fairness, they try their best and have a tough time to please their crowd...
I just mostly browse headlines there...

(The only editorial photography site I still read most content of is Thom Hogan's 'bythom'...)

Back