Leica DR sum micron w/o goggles

aaronz28

Regular
are the goggles just for framing, or do they affect how the RF works?
basically - i'm wondering is it still possible to focus without the goggles? - even thought the framing might be off...

With the DR Summicron the goggles are essential if you wish to use the close-up abilities of the lens, the fudge factor of the standard rangefinder is too great for close-up work. If you haven't tried the DR at close up you're missing out on where that lens is truly exceptional, incredibly sharp, crisp images with the Summi signature.

With the DR Summicron the goggles are essential if you wish to use the close-up abilities of the lens, the fudge factor of the standard rangefinder is too great for close-up work. If you haven't tried the DR at close up you're missing out on where that lens is truly exceptional, incredibly sharp, crisp images with the Summi signature.
I will eventually get the goggles for the DR.

I suspect that if you mod the lens for use on M9/M240- you can use the close range on the 240 in live view? And it will still couple to the rf in the standard position?

This is a good question. I know that "you lose close-up capabilities" if you modify the DR for use on M9. The close-up may vanish "forever". This is how I have understood the modification effect to be.

Is it confirmed that modifying the DR to work on the M9 / 240 will eliminate the use of the close focus? I find that counter intuitive since the close focus works on my MM, it's focusing beyond several feet that doesn't work on my unmodified DR and MM. If one has the DR modified to work on an M9 does that mean that close focus is also not going to be possible on the film M body? If that's true it seems like a ridged 50 would be a better option on a digital M than modifying a DR.

As I understand it: the secondary RF Cam that is used for the close focus that is the problem. When the lens is in normal mode the secondary Cam jams up on the inner workings of the camera. The modification is to cut the secondary cam off. The optics module is the same as the regular rigid Summicron.

Back