Bugs Dragonfly Thread

Bill,

I've got several reference sources to Dragonflies, not a single one mentions the English name Blue Hawker, neither does the British Dragonfly Society.

Barrie

There are quite a few authoritative references on the Web they mention that Blue H and Southern H are synonymous names for the Southern Aeshna - another name that is used for the Blue or Southern Hawker

That is why I always mention the Latin name which I did in my posting …………maybe it is my European dimension that causes me to look at all the synonymous common names

I also did point out that it was a female …. the 5th image, (a crop) was put there to aid with the ID

I guess that we just need to disagree on this one

I am completely confident in my identification of these as photographs of dragonflies.

Afternoon Paul

I'll blur them next time so that you get a "better" view

Odonata for the avoidance of doubt

going back soon so I can annoy you all from my usual abode ……. too hot here in the UK

Had to come back to the UK to find one ………. none around in SW France

Banded_1_Aug.jpg

An emergence this morning.

Then I watched it until it's wings had dried out and it flew off

engines revving and getting ready for take-off

Utube Vid and a few shots - Nikon V1
<object width="420" height="315">
<embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/L5MNvOpGRCo?hl=en_GB&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></object>

emerge.jpg

ready_4_takeoff.jpg

Nice shot Paul - as you know "feather legs" are the sure sign and as Barrie would no doubt point out the white-legged has double antehumeral, (or is it humeral), stripes ……… so I'm not sure as there is a Common Bluetail, (Ischnura aligns), that can look similar, also I think that that small "pointy mark" on the lower stripe in your image is more Bluetail than feather leg.
But the size of head, if you can tell it from any image, looks more white legged, (aka Blue), than Common

Blue_Featherlegs.jpg

but to tell you the truth the more I look at these bloody things the more I get confused as they seem to mate with any similar Damsel that's around

Back