Nikon Dropped my Df

Name
Tim Williams
While out shooting and in a hurry I didn't clip my PD strap in well and the camera and 80-200 4.5-5.6 (thankfully) hit the concrete bending the hot shoe closed. I say thankfully because the 80-200 is the cheapest piece of glass in the kit I believe. It will not auto focus now. I took a couple of shots for the SiJ challenge with the 17-35 but I just wasn't in it at that time. I have played with the camera a bit and it seems ok except it wont take a speed light on the shoe. Don't know what I may have screwed up in there. I don't know how major this is or if it may be something I just live with. Just bummed at the moment. Not worried about the 80-200.

Bummer. :eek: In such a case I'd try to check if the camera bayonet mount has been bent slightly by checking sharpness across the frame with a prime lens that is known to deliver that before. I once had a used Nikon F3 that appeared to have suffered from a fall; the shopkeeper said that the repair ate all his profit on the camera (it was sold with guarantee).

Last edited:
ouch. If living without a hotshoe is a dealbreaker, perhaps you can find an available light shooter who will buy it from you at a discount. I know I never use a flash. If I were in the market and the discount over a perfectly working one were enough, I'd consider it.

Hopefully nothing else is wrong with it.

Ok, well I couldn't resist trying once more so I lined the flash up and gave it a pretty good whack and it went on. Everything seems to work with flash functions so now the Brick wall test with my 55 2.8 ais. I'm still taking it to Marshall's tomorrow and let Carla go through it. It didn't come off without a fight so there are issues there with the mount.

Ok, well I couldn't resist trying once more so I lined the flash up and gave it a pretty good whack and it went on. Everything seems to work with flash functions so now the Brick wall test with my 55 2.8 ais. I'm still taking it to Marshall's tomorrow and let Carla go through it. It didn't come off without a fight so there are issues there with the mount.
Let Carla work her magic.

Back