Sony DRP's Chris and Jordan name Sony's A7RIII as the best choice in used FF cameras

I'm just not ready for 42MP. 24 would be my sweet spot.
Well, I never thought I'd want it either. When Sony announced the 7M4 I was hoping for something between 24 and 30, figuring that range would be ideal. At 33 it was close enough. I bought the used 7RM3 as a second camera when I realized I simply didn't want to deal with two separate systems and sold off my M-4/3 gear. The 42MP was way more than I wanted at the time. Now, however, I love it. The sensor (same as the 7RM2) is fantastic, and 42 isn't near as bad as I thought it'd be, really only slightly annoying! :laugh1: And while I can't imagine dealing with 50 or 60, I'd still like to give it a try!

I do wish it had lossless compressed RAW to reduce file size, but that didn't come until later in Sony's lineup. I've shot some in compressed RAW and for the most part it's fine for casual day to day stuff. As long as I pay attention to the subject and don't try to shoot things like the moon or buildings at night where artifacts would occur with the compression, it seems ok.

You guys are NOT helping me with my GAS problem.

I should just let go of my A7ii, but it's hard to let it go for trade-in prices. It's still a very capable camera even though it's not the latest and greatest.
One thing that can really bite you on the bum ...

Can your computer handle the huge RAW files that these cameras generate?

Paying upwards of a couple of grand to upgrade or (shudder) completely replace your existing computer to handle these files at a reasonable speed and still be able to multitask can really hurt.

Storage of not only RAW files but also Tiff-16 (or 16 bit .PSD) files can really gobble up disk space. Then there's backup space ...

What I'm trying to say is make sure that you get all your ducks in a row BEFORE you rush out and buy these sorts of cameras.

That is why I'm leaning towards the R3a rather than an R4a. I think 42mb's will be fine for what I want out of a camera now vs the 61mp of the later R4a.
I've got an i7 computer so speed is not a worry, besides, I'm retired so nobody is holding a stop watch on me when playing with pictures on the computer.
I think they mean the RM3, not the A. From what I’ve read the only difference between them is an improved screen, but the difference in cost is substantial.
When I ran a Z7 for a while back in 2020, its 47Mp files brought the high spec Microsoft Surface Book laptop I was using at the time to a crawl. I’m of the view that 24-30 Mp is plenty for almost anything that an amateur will need.
My desktop isn’t bothered with processing. Upload time is a lot longer though. Overall I agree, but there’s also a lot to be said for the flexibility of cropping or shooting an 18MP image in APS-C mode.

My 2020 pre-M1 MBP(16gb RAM and 512HDD) has processed all the large sensor cameras except the GFX100 without discomfort. I'd be sugar coating it if there wasn't care involved but the tradeoff of having the ability to crop is well worth it for me. If I was shooting and processing weddings or something of that frequency and volume then it would likely be different.

I have a Ryzen 7 powered Lenovo laptop currently, and I don't really find any difference in speed when opening files from different cameras I've had in Lightroom. Fuji files might be a bit slower, but even that is hit & miss. The differences I notice in processing files from the 42mpix a7R III or the 20mpix RX100 are really more about image quality and malleability, not that much speed.

Though one thing to check for any Lightroom user who finds his computer coughing: check that the Lightroom cloud app isn't eating your processor for lunch in the background. There's some bug in the app that makes it hog resources while doing absolutely nothing. Kill the app and disable it from running at startup.

I have a Ryzen 7 powered Lenovo laptop currently, and I don't really find any difference in speed when opening files from different cameras I've had in Lightroom. Fuji files might be a bit slower, but even that is hit & miss. The differences I notice in processing files from the 42mpix a7R III or the 20mpix RX100 are really more about image quality and malleability, not that much speed.

Though one thing to check for any Lightroom user who finds his computer coughing: check that the Lightroom cloud app isn't eating your processor for lunch in the background. There's some bug in the app that makes it hog resources while doing absolutely nothing. Kill the app and disable it from running at startup.
Yes. I recently found out that Adobe had obligingly uploaded sufficient images to fill my 'free' storage space on their servers. Without my knowledge or consent!

My new main PC loads and processes full size RAW files from an X2D all but instantaneously in Bridge and Photoshop CC 2023.

As far as I've realized the latter generations of Sony camera are more concentrating on the videographing capability/performance over the photographing. Fortunately the upgrades (AFC, burst rate etc) are to photographing benefit to some extent, making shoot swift moving subjects (like birds in flight) less difficult. However the upgrade/improvement of image quality is unnoticeable. ARiii is still a very good camera for landscape, cityscape, portrait, commercial photography provided that it pairs with a capable lens and is in capable hands.

Until I upgraded last spring I ran CaptureOne on a 7yr-old AMD FX-6300 with 16G. I was honestly surprised at the negligible difference after I upgraded from the 24mp A7m2 to the 42mp A7Rm3. Yes copying the photos off the camera/card to the computer was somewhat slower with the larger files, and of course they do take up more space but then I am not a volume shooter anyway. Otherwise it turned out to be much ado about nothing, and I was also surprised at how much I appreciate 42mp for detail and croppability. You can easily test things for yourself as DPReview has RAWs for the cameras they review available for download in the sample section of the review.

Sony cameras have had some improvements for us non-video people, particularly in autofocus and tracking, also color "science" for jpegs, and software/menu improvements particularly in the current generation. And on the hardware side there are improvements to the EVF and for those who like them, twisty screens. I will say my A7Rm3 still works great for me, as I am not an action shooter and mostly shoot manual lenses (the irony, I know). The newer menu layout would be nice, and I think I might make use of the 61mp bodies in shooting in APS-C mode. As a prime shooter that could be useful to keep down the lens count in the bag. But I can wait a few years until what are now current bodies become much more affordable in the used market.

I just got an a7ii as my first ff digital camera and mostly to use with old film era manual focus lenses. It is just about perfect for that purpose. The newer Sonys would resolve more than most of the lenses I'm using..I think. It's an assumption that suits my budget, which would not allow me to buy one of the newer ones anyway. But I am having a blast with the old glass.

Last edited:
I had this camera and for those who need 42MP its a very good choise
I went back to the RX1 with the 24MP, that's enough for me.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....THIS morning I jumped off the deep end and ordered...drum roll please..............a used A7Riii from B and H. They had what looks to be a nice one with fewer shutter actuations than my A7ii so I'm pretty sure it'll do. Won't be here until Wed of next week but I've waited this long I think I'll be able to wait a couple more days. I think. Maybe.
Now the question is, do I put my A7ii up for sale at a very good price just to move it out. I really am looking forward to having the same battery in all my cameras.
I did a comparison of my cameras on the DP site using their tool and found I really didn't need the A7RiiiA's improved screen.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....THIS morning I jumped off the deep end and ordered...drum roll please..............a used A7Riii from B and H. They had what looks to be a nice one with fewer shutter actuations than my A7ii so I'm pretty sure it'll do. Won't be here until Wed of next week but I've waited this long I think I'll be able to wait a couple more days. I think. Maybe.
Now the question is, do I put my A7ii up for sale at a very good price just to move it out. I really am looking forward to having the same battery in all my cameras.
I did a comparison of my cameras on the DP site using their tool and found I really didn't need the A7RiiiA's improved screen.
It's a very good camera. The AF is pretty good, but of course Sony 's latest models are among the very best out there.

The sensor in that camera is fantastic. According to people over at Dyxum, it's the same sensor as the D850 and Pentax K1MII. I love mine, and even if I end up adding another camera at some point will likely keep it.

I know myself well enough to not say this is the last camera I'll ever buy. I think with my soon to be four Sony's I'll have all situations covered. The A7ii may get relegated to beach bike ride duty only. We'll just have to see how things work out.

Back