Pentax DSLR - Pentax?

When I started this thread some 18 months ago, I was considering the Df and Pentax. I decided to go with a preowned Df that surfaced. Technically the full-frame camera has plenty of merits. But over the few years I've also encountered plenty of shortcomings, many of which overcome.

I am now getting renewed interest in seeing what Pentax has to offer in the field of DSLR.

The old Pentax bodies such as K5, K3 are very affordable and still current, meaning they hold up.

But a lot also changed. Pentax is withering as a brand. I can't see local (Finnish) retailers stocking the APSC Pentax cameras or lenses anymore. They only sell the K1 Mark 2 with a select few Pentax DFA lenses.

As much as I am a FF-head and especially appreciate the optical limits the image format imposes on a DSLR camera, I can't for the life of me think of an interesting Pentax lens for full frame. Instead most all the interesting gems are DA. Not only that, I am seeking a nice and portable telezoom setup and here a crop sensor will help tremendously.

Pentax KP is a lightweight body and very interesting but its availability is tough here in Europe. Of course I'd prefer to get a silver body any time when it's reasonably possible. A silver KP appeals to me in the same way the silver Pen-F or the silver Fuji X100 appealed before it. But if I just want to try this brand out, shelling 750 € for a used body is a steep step. My brain keeps saying I should try a cheaper sensible body, maybe in a 300 € price bracket before making further decisions.

By the way, the two big shortcomings of Nikon Df that really irritate me.
  • Autofocus (single AF) in low light gives up very easily. Especially with a slow zoom like an f/3.5 it stops working relatively early into the evening, which is just a waste, when you consider how far the sensor is capable of going, sensitivity-wise.
  • Focus accuracy with wide angles is just, in a word, hopeless. With a 20mm f/1.8 MF lens the focus confirmation dot was just hopelessly useless. Couldn't be relied to make a sharply focused 4-by-6 photograph with the aid. Neither am I getting much enjoyment out of a 28mm f/2 lens.
I have been hopeful and have read good things about Pentax really drilling into S-AF focus accuracy and low-light focusability. I guess they'd better, since they also seem to specialize to slower lenses.

One thing to add. I have in my mind pitted the APS-C Pentax cameras in the same category as my µ4/3 cameras. Maybe right, maybe wrong. That's how my impression is. The thrilling question is, can any Pentax "70-200/300" equivalent lens match the overall package of the sensational Panasonic 35-100 f/4-5.6? It's a tough battle and I am not sure it can be won.

The dutch Pentax website lists 3 DSLR cameras, K-70, K3 mark 3 and K1 mark 2.
Body price K3 and K1 is Euro 1999,-
What are the (main) differences between those cameras?

As much as I am a FF-head and especially appreciate the optical limits the image format imposes on a DSLR camera, I can't for the life of me think of an interesting Pentax lens for full frame. Instead most all the interesting gems are DA. Not only that, I am seeking a nice and portable telezoom setup and here a crop sensor will help tremendously.

Interesting Pentax FF lenses? The limited lenses (21,31, 43, 77mm) are all FF. They are the most interesting lenses Pentax makes, on par or surpassing lenses in just about any other brand/mount. Then there are the FA* 50 and 85 lenses and the DA* 200 and 300 lenses that cover FF. Then you have the 30-40+ year catalog of K mount lenses available as well, all covering FF.

If you want 'interesting' lenses, there isn't a current mount that offers more than K mount, IMO.

Interesting Pentax FF lenses? The limited lenses (21,31, 43, 77mm) are all FF. They are the most interesting lenses Pentax makes, on par or surpassing lenses in just about any other brand/mount. Then there are the FA* 50 and 85 lenses and the DA* 200 and 300 lenses that cover FF. Then you have the 30-40+ year catalog of K mount lenses available as well, all covering FF.

If you want 'interesting' lenses, there isn't a current mount that offers more than K mount, IMO.
I hear you.

Maybe it feels less of a selection because old Nikon lenses appear to be more plentiful and Pentax less so, around here.

It's funny. When I entered the world of Nikon F two years ago, I thought there was nothing in their catalogue that interested me. Now look at me. Thinking the same way about Pentax K. :D

I hear you.

Maybe it feels less of a selection because old Nikon lenses appear to be more plentiful and Pentax less so, around here.

It's funny. When I entered the world of Nikon F two years ago, I thought there was nothing in their catalogue that interested me. Now look at me. Thinking the same way about Pentax K. :D
I can see that. Pentax isn't really that available anywhere, especially in real camera shops.

It's funny because I regular see K lenses in Finland pop up over in the Buy&Sell at Pentax Forums. Right now someone is selling a Sigma 85mm f1.4. If you haven't looked there, its worth a shot to keep an eye on.

I've mostly had the 100mm Pentax macro glued to my K-5 and swap around the 40mm, 50mm f1.4 (early Pentax FA so its cheap) and 10-20 (Sigma - cheap) on the old K-7. I've got the 35mm f2.4 but it doesn't see much use. I've also got a couple of m42/k adapter rings but they're 3rd party and a little cheap & nasty (I worry about lenses dropping out or the adapter getting stuck - I'm sure the original Pentax onces are better). I think almost all the kit is second or third hand - mostly from Japan but I have picked up a few bits & pieces domestically in NZ. I think here, Canon & Nikon dominate so Pentax stuff tends to be tough to find unless its a real enthusiast. I'll be keeping an eye out for good prices on a used K-3 on eBay over the next 12 months but TBH the K-5 is fine for my needs.

I definitely use the Pentax stuff more than my D700/D600 - they're full-frame but just that little bit heavier/bulkier to use.

I may have been a bit hasty/harsh with that statement. And it was a few bodies ago. Stills aren't a problem, it's the bif shot's. A K3 isn't a good yardstick.

When I started this thread some 18 months ago, I was considering the Df and Pentax. I decided to go with a preowned Df that surfaced. Technically the full-frame camera has plenty of merits. But over the few years I've also encountered plenty of shortcomings, many of which overcome.

I am now getting renewed interest in seeing what Pentax has to offer in the field of DSLR.

The old Pentax bodies such as K5, K3 are very affordable and still current, meaning they hold up.

But a lot also changed. Pentax is withering as a brand. I can't see local (Finnish) retailers stocking the APSC Pentax cameras or lenses anymore. They only sell the K1 Mark 2 with a select few Pentax DFA lenses.

Pentax KP is a lightweight body and very interesting but its availability is tough here in Europe. Of course I'd prefer to get a silver body any time when it's reasonably possible. A silver KP appeals to me in the same way the silver Pen-F or the silver Fuji X100 appealed before it. But if I just want to try this brand out, shelling 750 € for a used body is a steep step. My brain keeps saying I should try a cheaper sensible body, maybe in a 300 € price bracket before making further decisions.

By the way, the two big shortcomings of Nikon Df that really irritate me.
  • Autofocus (single AF) in low light gives up very easily. Especially with a slow zoom like an f/3.5 it stops working relatively early into the evening, which is just a waste, when you consider how far the sensor is capable of going, sensitivity-wise.
  • Focus accuracy with wide angles is just, in a word, hopeless. With a 20mm f/1.8 MF lens the focus confirmation dot was just hopelessly useless. Couldn't be relied to make a sharply focused 4-by-6 photograph with the aid. Neither am I getting much enjoyment out of a 28mm f/2 lens.
I have been hopeful and have read good things about Pentax really drilling into S-AF focus accuracy and low-light focusability. I guess they'd better, since they also seem to specialize to slower lenses.

One thing to add. I have in my mind pitted the APS-C Pentax cameras in the same category as my µ4/3 cameras. Maybe right, maybe wrong. That's how my impression is. The thrilling question is, can any Pentax "70-200/300" equivalent lens match the overall package of the sensational Panasonic 35-100 f/4-5.6? It's a tough battle and I am not sure it can be won.
Not sure if you realize but KP was discontinued last year so maybe that is why you are having trouble finding in Europe. They are available on fleabay and maybe check Pentax Forum marketplace for used. Only offerings in APSC now are k3lll and k70. As far as FF lenses, well you only have 50 years of kmount to chose from as well as another 20 years adapted thread mount. As well as the FA & DFA line and as TNcasual says the DA limiteds which I own the 15 and 21 and they are wonderful for APSC. No other company has the backward compatibility and line of lenses. They also didn't make many "bad" lenses. I own a K3 and for still photography, it is a beast. Every owner will tell you the same. I actually considered the K3lll before I decided I wanted small and light for biking and went Oly. If you do stills, get a nice used K3 for around $400 US. I bought mine 2 years ago with only 15K on shutter. The KP isn't actually too much smaller or lighter than K3. That's why I didn't get one.

Last edited:
Back