Fuji DSLR traveler going with X system to Europe

LisaO

Regular
I usually travel with my DSLR (or 2), a Nikon D800 and the trinity of big 2.8 lenses plus a few more and small lighting gear and a large tripod to support it at times. This time I'm going mirrorless and mostly Fuji X. I've had the X-Pro1 since the day it came out (right before Easter 2012) but was originally disappointed with the focus system (and almost returned it within the first two weeks) but Fuji has really been good about improving it and updating firmware and now I am happy with the focus for all but fast moving action.

I struggled somewhat with this decision to go DSLRless but I'm pretty sure I can get what I want from the Fuji. While know the X-Pro1 well I'm not bringing it along, I am going with the X-E1 and M-X1 (which I just picked up yesterday and haven't even taken it out of the box yet) I have all the X lenses except the new 27 pancake. I will bring 18-55mm, 55-200mm and 14mm for sure, may bring the 35mm and 16-50mm too depending on how it all packs. I am spending a few days in Rome and then going on a cruise, not optimum for photography but I am really looking forward to photographing the town of Oia on Santorini Island in Greece and beaches on Corfu Island especially.

The bag will also have a Sirui 025 tripod as well as a small tabletop one, ND and Polarizing filters too. I won't carry all the gear all the time. I will choose what to take each day depending on the photo ops and amount of walking vs. driving we might be doing.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how relying on the Fuji X will work out. I have shot with it side by side with other cameras before I'm hoping the Fuji will make me happy but I will have a few other small cameras too.

I'll post my results on the forums here but I doubt I can do much until I return from the trip.

Anyone else go through this dilemma? How did it work out for you?

Best of luck with the cruise Lisa and I'm sure your Fujis will deliver for you. We did a 26 day SE Asia cruise this year and all I took was the little RX100 - I was happy with the results and the relative freedom.

I went to Italy with the Ricoh GR and the Canon G12 leaving my DSLR behind because at the time I was dealing with some muscle and joint pain in my arm and literally could not lift it without hurting. You have a much better set up than I did in having lenses to swap out so I think you'll do wonderfully. Try to anticipate what you'll need whenever you step away from your gear so that you'll have it with you and then just enjoy. Tinker with your new camera body before you go though so that you aren't trying to figure something out while on your trip. It's going to feel strange not having your DSLR and trusted lenses however if what you have is similar, only smaller, you should be just fine. Travelling light = travelling light but also = being able to carry more options if the gear is light. You have plenty of choices in how you approach it.

Yes I will play around with the M-X1 before I go or on the plane, I've got it out of the camera out of the box and set up. I have downloaded the manual and will copy it to my iPad. It is amazing what fits into the Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 30i. Yesterday I had the X-E1 with RRS Grip, 18-55, 14, 55-200 4 batteries, 3 filters, Think Tank Pocket Rocket with 9 SD cards and it still felt light.

I have gone from uk to Aus'...........am in last 5 days now. Got rid of the canon full frame and lenses. Traveling with x100s and XE-1......... No regrets. That xe1 is a babe......and the 18-55 is a peach much underrated by calling it a "kit" lens.

Wow 26 Day cruise! RX100 only, I wouldn't be that brave. Where did you travel to Bill?

Fremantle-Bali-Penang-Langkowi-Phuket-Singapore-Ho Chi Minh city-Sihanoukville-Bangkok-Koh Samui-Lombok-Fremantle.

As we had seen most of these destinations we stayed on ship a lot going ashore only 4 times so photography was secondary.

I used my RX1 most of the time and the XE1 with 60mm for everything else. I took the Fuji 35mm and 18 but didn't use them. I'll be off to Spain next week for the best part of a month. If it wasn't for the fact that we'll be tacking on a few days with a crowd of friends in Palma for the last three days to celebrate a 50th birthday, I would probably only take the little GR. Now I have a dilemma with what to take! I really want to take the RX1 just because I haven't photographed anything in Palma with it but then I might need some short tele for people pics....... it's keeping me awake at night :dash2:

I used my RX1 most of the time and the XE1 with 60mm for everything else. I took the Fuji 35mm and 18 but didn't use them. I'll be off to Spain next week for the best part of a month. If it wasn't for the fact that we'll be tacking on a few days with a crowd of friends in Palma for the last three days to celebrate a 50th birthday, I would probably only take the little GR. Now I have a dilemma with what to take! I really want to take the RX1 just because I haven't photographed anything in Palma with it but then I might need some short tele for people pics....... it's keeping me awake at night :dash2:

Isn't that just how it is too. We pack far more than we need most times and we fret about if for days before we leave!

Back