"DSLRs Are the New Leica"

Somewhat tangent to the video which started the discussion, but different in tone: THE $10 SLEEPER CAMERA YOU SHOULD OWN! rather click-bated title, but it seems that is where its at these days. This one I actually enjoyed, the enthusiasm of the the two fellows doing their thing is almost tangible.
I'm pretty sure I have one of those (or one just like it) in a drawer somewhere. I really liked the little ELPH canons.

I'm pretty sure I have one of those (or one just like it) in a drawer somewhere. I really liked the little ELPH canons.
I have some Ixuses, had one of about that time they use and then I have three of the Ixus100IS (12Mp CCD sensor, not that I knew when it was new), bought one to bring to A-stan, it rode in my breast pocket for the whole duration there, and then brought two more for the wife and son#1 as homecoming presents, and relegating the older one to son#2.

I have one, or very similar as well, bought when I had pretty much shelved photography and I simply wanted to have some family pictures of my then young sons. Probably in the mid 2000s. Since getting back into it, I've wanted give it a try, but the battery charger is broken.

That's exactly the reason I shoot a G9. And I don't really have huge hands. You get excellent, weathersealed build quality, all the higher end features, yet can still take advantage of all the tiny lenses. Such as my PL 9mm, PL 15, Lumix 20, PL 25, Oly 45mm, and so on.
I have a G8, but have only used it around the house and yard. Being that I primarily use the backscreen, the way it swings out is a bit akward to me, and I'm not sure how it would fare on walks- plus it only currently has one battery. It does have a great in hand feel and I want to spend more time with it.

My last DSLR before going mirrorless was the Pentax K7. Of course, I now own a D700 with a nifty fifty. It’s such a monster and only 12 MP but I really love the look of the images. It’s very clear that I can live with a 12 mp low end, given how I display my images. That’s probably why I own so many 12 mp cameras. Maybe someday the A7Siii will come intro my range.
There's something cool about 50mm lenses on a full frame digital sensor. I've been considering the FA 50mm f1.4 a little bit lately.

Having said all this, there is something tempting about getting a used D610, fairly cheap and 24 MP. 😛
Dude, quit fanning my GAS! I'm perfectly happy with my Sonies, but every now and then (read: every other day) I keep checking the prices of used D610's and D810's. There's just something about the idea of shooting a full frame Nikon with the old screw drive lenses from my boyhood days that keeps haunting me.

Dude, quit fanning my GAS! I'm perfectly happy with my Sonies, but every now and then (read: every other day) I keep checking the prices of used D610's and D810's. There's just something about the idea of shooting a full frame Nikon with the old screw drive lenses from my boyhood days that keeps haunting me.
The D700 is my first ever ILC Nikon. I like using it but I’m not sure I’d want to tote it around all day.

Something about that pluralism just seems so...wrong. 😺
Wrong is good, man... Pony -> ponies, Sony -> Sonies. They're the same thing! Though whereas the former are actually quite tasty, the latter I wouldn't eat.
So, should it be Olympi, or... Olympusses? :unsure:
If I remember anything from my latin courses, that should be Olympi. But I don't, so don't take my word for it.
Of course, it should be "Sonys". However, English is probably not @The Electric Squirrel 's native language ...

English is a real mongrel of a language, even for most native speakers ...
Try finnish... I recall our beloved native language to be rated amongst the ten or so hardest...

But I'm sometimes amused by how many native english speakers constantly confuse they're/their/there and then/than...

Although you’re logic is sound @The Electric Squirrel ,English always seems to have more exceptions than rules. For pluralizing a noun, you would indeed change the Y to and I and add ES. However Sony isn’t a noun; it’s a proper noun, and as such, regardless of whether the Y is preceded with a vowel or a consonant, you simply add an S. This is true of people or brand names.

Plurals of nouns ending in 'Y'

As for the Olympus conundrum, who knows!

Last edited:
Although you’re logic is sound @The Electric Squirrel ,English always seems to have more exceptions than rules. For pluralizing a noun, you would indeed change the Y to and I and add ES. However Sony isn’t a noun; it’s a proper noun, and as such, regardless of whether the Y is preceded with a vowel or a consonant, you simply add an S. This is true of people or brand names.

Plurals of nouns ending in 'Y'

As for the Olympus conundrum, who knows. Probably matters less now that they’re OM Digital Solutions and they already tossed an S at the end for us. 😂
OMDS's, pronounced as OMD-asses?😄

Also, while we're on the topic of English grammar, you might want to reconsider the second word in your post 😇
:sorry:

I like Sonies better. One worm at Layer 3 can make this a standard.

I had a Sony reel-to-reel tape recorder that had a section in the owners manual for what to do "if your Sony recorder should go into heat".

With the Internet- Everybody knows what is meant. It's not a 5th grade English class, it's a chat forum.
I wonder if everyone stops idle conversation to correct the grammar of the participants.
I'd try posting this in Finnish- but would need an automatic translation tool.

Last edited:
I’ll blame my phones autocorrect! Touché
I've given up. With my slowly deteriorating typing skills, autocorrect, and my impatience with proofreading, I'm on my way to this:

1664282365786.png

Back