"DSLRs Are the New Leica"

I've given up. With my slowly deteriorating typing skills, autocorrect, and my impatience with proofreading, I'm on my way to this:

View attachment 338675
The gamers among us - or perhaps only those of a certain age - might refer to that as '1337', aka 'leet', for 'elite'. If you wanted to show off how awesome you were, you'd send messages written like that to your teammates or competitors during a multiplayer game...

Now how did we end up here after discussing "DSLRs being the new Leica"? :hmmm:

Well from now on I'll start doing it intentionally...

I'd try posting this in Finnish- but would need an automatic translation tool.
You wouldn't want to do that, really. The results vary from gobbledigook to hilarious, but almost universally not what you wanted. 'Puters don't get finnish... Autotranslated user manuals are an endless source of humour...

Dude, quit fanning my GAS! I'm perfectly happy with my Sonies, but every now and then (read: every other day) I keep checking the prices of used D610's and D810's. There's just something about the idea of shooting a full frame Nikon with the old screw drive lenses from my boyhood days that keeps haunting me.
I have a Df- lets me shoot lenses going back to the Nikon S-Mount Telephoto lenses made for the Reflex attachment for the Rangefinder cameras. I use an S-Mount to F-Mount adapter. Gets me back to my early youth.
AF-Nikkor and AF-D Nikkors also, but more my Middle-Aged years.

The optics on many of the AF-Nikkor and AF-D nikkor lenses are better than those that replaced them. Designing for Film cameras meant the optical engineers had to take care of corrections. Designed for digital- they figured it would be corrected in post. The AF-D Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8 is much better than the thoroughly disappointing AF-S 105/2.8 despite all the extra letters than the marketing team added to the name.

I'm waiting for Kevin to stumble into this thread.
Not many threads that people use machine translation into Klingon.
Translating into "I am Groot" is easy. Klingon- more difficult.

What's scary- I remember the Monty Python skit from when it was first broadcast. 50+ years ago. So many of the skits just stay with you.

Last edited:
Well from now on I'll start doing it intentionally...

You wouldn't want to do that, really. The results vary from gobbledigook to hilarious, but almost universally not what you wanted. 'Puters don't get finnish... Autotranslated user manuals are an endless source of humour...
Try this:

From Ode to the Spell Chequer (a poem) - Canadian Consulting Engineer

Ode to the Spell Chequer
Anonymous

Eye half a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Last time I ran this through Microsoft's spell and grammar checker in Word, it had no errors ... :rofl: .

That's why I still use Wordstar. It does not have auto-incorrection.
I turn off spelling and grammar checkers whenever I encounter them, Brian.

Apart from Microsoft seemingly believing that the entire English speaking world defers to, and uses, American English, which is even more bastardised than 'proper' English.

A failure to understand that a double ell (e.g. as in travelling) turns the long vowel before it into a short vowel, for instance. I could go on, and on.

For me, at my price range , I still believe that OVF's have the advantage for fast action sports, wildlife etc. Things like Olympus' "Pro Capture" are narrowing the field, and you still need to be able to predict upcoming events to an extent, but there is still that tiny delay behind real live viewing that i've noticed at times. So despite mirrorless becoming my daily shooters, I still think that there'll be a place for a Dslr kit in many photographers cupboards. And as prices fall, they really do become excellent value with huge lens selections. I know of a 1Dx for sale at about 10 percent of it's original sale price , and as recently as 2012 that was about as good a sports camera as you could get, and arguably still lacks very little for that job today.

As for Leica? I'd love one, probably an M8 (maybe an M9) for that ccd sensor as much as anything else. But not at current prices.

I completely understand, Brian. So I did the back breaking work for you 😂.

From Wikipedia:

"Mercury rotates in a way that is unique in the Solar System. It is tidally locked with the Sun in a 3:2 spin–orbit resonance,[17] meaning that relative to the fixed stars, it rotates on its axis exactly three times for every two revolutions it makes around the Sun.[a][18] As seen from the Sun, in a frame of reference that rotates with the orbital motion, it appears to rotate only once every two Mercurian years. An observer on Mercury would therefore see only one day every two Mercurian years."

Back