Dual card slots cameras

Both my later FTs cameras had dual card slots - the E-30 and the E-510. The main card was CF, of course, like almost all other cameras of the times.

However, the second slot was an Olympus/Fuji proprietary card, the infamous xD. Limited to 4 GB (not such a big deal 15 years ago), and relatively slow. A perversion of the SD cards, IIRC.

Useful as in-camera storage, basically.

My E-M1 MkII has dual slots, but somewhat crippled by having one UHSII slot and the other a UHSI ... A fairly serious design error in an otherwise superb camera. Using a high speed UHSI card in parallel with a UHSII card slows everything down to the UHSI card's speed, in an otherwise eye wateringly fast camera.

Which amateur cameras have dual card slots aboard?
Define amateur. The Nikon Z5 has dual slots, I guess that might qualify since it's the bottom of the Nikon FF Z system. Everything else I can think of with dual slots I would call enthusiast/professional. There are "affordable" prior versions of several, the E-M1.2 & 3, Panasonic G9, Fuji X-T3 & 4, and Fuji X-H1 to name a few.

For MFT I would definitely say the E-M1.2. Here is a good comparison between the II and III. There are a few "nice to have" differences. But for my use, they aren't enough for me to upgrade. If I had neither and was looking to get one? It would come down to budget.

The G9 is what I have that is somewhat current with dual slots for UHS II, lightning fast with Sony and Lexar cards.

The only others are the Olympus 400 and 410, with its combo of Xd and CF II.

That said, I have never had a card crap out on me, and I am not sure if the "obsession" over two slots are a valid concern, if you have a proper way to shuffle single cards.

The only time I have "needed" dual cards was yesterday, and that was because I had left the nr 1 card upstairs, so I happily shot with the nr 2 card, instead of needing to go upstairs and collect card nr 1. I could also have filled slot 1 with any number of cards, laying around in my study. :hmmm:

The only mft camera with display on top is the G9?
As far as I know, yes. The G9 is a cracker of a camera, the only thing I have to nag on about it, is size. If they had managed to shrink it 10% all around, I would have had two and not been bothered looking at anything else. (IOW about the size of the EM-1MkIII).

Yes the G9 is the only one with the top display, wish OMS had added it to the OM-1. Yes, size was one of the deterrents for me when I was deciding between the E-M1.2 and G9. If I had gone with the G9 I'm sure I'd have the 8-18 / 12-60 / 50-200 PL trio now.

My other issue with the Panasonic system generally is too many different control points. You have customizable physical buttons, customizable on-screen function buttons, and a customizable Q-Menu. The problem is not all functions I wanted could be assigned to one set of control options. Now the G9 does have more physical programmable buttons so it's possible I might have been able to with the G9. I wasn't able to with the GX85. So was the function I wanted on a physical button, on-screen function button, or in the Q-Menu? Maybe I'm just getting old.

Olympus/OMS is just programmable function buttons and the super user panel.

Now if video is a need well then the G9 might be better, but I just don't shoot video.

GH5 has Dual, GH4 does not.

My E-M1 MkII has dual slots, but somewhat crippled by having one UHSII slot and the other a UHSI ... A fairly serious design error in an otherwise superb camera. Using a high speed UHSI card in parallel with a UHSII card slows everything down to the UHSI card's speed, in an otherwise eye wateringly fast camera.
Even at the slower speed using UHS-1 cards, the E-M1 MkII is still a faster camera than almost any other model/brand on the market, so maybe I was a bit harsh in my criticism of it in this regard.

However, it was an odd decision to use two different slots. I have noticed that Olympus was not the only manufacturer to make this mistaken design choice. Many others did the same. Probably a pricing decision.

Back