Dust in Lens of Canon SX230 HS

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
I gave my old Canon SX230 HS to my friend's son, who has enjoyed using it over the past year or two. But it seems he carried the camera around in his jacket and pants pockets a lot and he now tells me that some pieces of lint are stuck inside the lens. Most of them can't be seen when shooting or looking at finished images - but some can.

Are any of the best and brightest at Serious Compacts experienced in removing this kind of dust from the lens of a fixed-zoom compact? I'm about to take my Giotto's Rocket Air Blaster over to my friend's house in an attempt to blow it out. But is blowing air in around the space surrounding the lens even likely to work without disassembling the camera in some way? Believe it or not, in all my years of photography, I have never had this kind of problem. Careful handling and storage of my cameras has helped, of course.

EDIT: I'm also going to try vacuuming the front of the camera using a crevice tool.

Any advice here?

I'd be slightly cautious about attributing visible image marks to dust on or in a lens system, which are generally invisible in images; if you're seeing blobs on the image, it's more likely to be dust on the sensor itself, especially if they are most visible when the lens is stopped down hard. If the lens has got particularly dusty, it lends credence to the idea that it has also crept into the sensor box.

(here is a fun article to help dispel the idea that marks on lenses matter very much: Dirty lens article)

I'd be slightly cautious about attributing visible image marks to dust on or in a lens system, which are generally invisible in images; if you're seeing blobs on the image, it's more likely to be dust on the sensor itself, especially if they are most visible when the lens is stopped down hard. If the lens has got particularly dusty, it lends credence to the idea that it has also crept into the sensor box.

(here is a fun article to help dispel the idea that marks on lenses matter very much: Dirty lens article)

That's true... but lens or sensor... I'm going to try to get it out.

Back