Ricoh Dust on GR sensor

I have had the same problem,and a web search will find more info on this. I have no idea how common the problem is, but it is reported out there.
I sent my GR to Ricoh (US) for warranty service. They replaced the lens assembly and the camera is working beautifully now.
Does anyone know if some copies of the camera (maybe with some minor variation in build) are more prone to this issue, and perhaps to reoccur; or once fixed is the camera no more likely to have the dust problem than to any other random GR?
Geof

No dust here yet [fingers crossed].... hope they fix your camera up quicker than expected.

Ouch Bill! How did that happen? Awesome that you had the Acmaxx installed and it worked!

I drove over it... The nice people at Ricoh installed a new rear LCD and serviced it and it was good to go ;) The Acmaxx screen at the front almost certainly saved the front element.

Sent from another Galaxy

I drove over it... The nice people at Ricoh installed a new rear LCD and serviced it and it was good to go ;) The Acmaxx screen at the front almost certainly saved the front element.

Sent from another Galaxy

Oh wow Bill! Good to know that is not only "dust" proof but shock proof as well. Just out of curiosity, was it too expensive to service it?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SeriousCompacts mobile app

I've just noticed the the position of the "dust bunny" has moved to a different part of the sensor today.
As the GR spends quite a lot of time in the pannier of my bicycle I'm hoping the constant vibration might even shift it off the sensor altogether.
This evening I put it loose in the pannier lens facing downwards rather than inside its padded case, and the extra vibration might have helped shift the dust a bit.

before:
R0004329-625x414.jpg

after:
R0004383-625x414.jpg

I had the same problem, was just getting ready to send it off to be fixed then read about someone tapping on the back of their GR with it faced down to disloge the dust. Gave it a try and to my amazement the dust had dislodged from the sensor. Certainly saved time and money (postage). You should give it a try, just make sure you have a firm grip :)

looks like my dust bunny has now gone - i rode my bike fast along a cobbled street yesterday with the GR in the pannier but i had the camera lens upwards this time

Back