Olympus Dust on XZ-1 sensor

dhazeghi

Regular
Hello all,

I've had my XZ-1 for about 15 months now. I started noticing spots in my photos a few weeks ago. A test of blue sky at f/8 confirms that there are at least 4 sizable pieces of dust on the camera's sensor. Any idea where I should send it to be cleaned, and about how much they charge? I've cleaned my DSLR numerous times, but obviously the XZ-1's sensor is a lot less accessible. Thanks,

DH

Dear Friend,
My xz-1 had the same problem. A spot near the middle of the sensor visible in small apertures (f / 8). It's a great camera and I would not trade for anything, if it was not this problem. Here in Brazil, despite the continental size do not have technical assistance from olympus. Should I buy another camera for traveling. I would also like to find a solution for this, because it does not want to miss this excellent camera. She has been an excellent travel companion and enriched my portfolio. has been a pleasure carry it in my travels.
My current portfolio is all filled with images generated by this excellent camera. Sorry my English ... translation is the google translation.
My portfolio
500px / Anibal Gondim / Photos

Dear Friend,
My xz-1 had the same problem. A spot near the middle of the sensor visible in small apertures (f / 8). It's a great camera and I would not trade for anything, if it was not this problem. Here in Brazil, despite the continental size do not have technical assistance from olympus. Should I buy another camera for traveling. I would also like to find a solution for this, because it does not want to miss this excellent camera. She has been an excellent travel companion and enriched my portfolio. has been a pleasure carry it in my travels.
My current portfolio is all filled with images generated by this excellent camera. Sorry my English ... translation is the google translation.
My portfolio
500px / Anibal Gondim / Photos

Hello all,

I've had my XZ-1 for about 15 months now. I started noticing spots in my photos a few weeks ago. A test of blue sky at f/8 confirms that there are at least 4 sizable pieces of dust on the camera's sensor. Any idea where I should send it to be cleaned, and about how much they charge? I've cleaned my DSLR numerous times, but obviously the XZ-1's sensor is a lot less accessible. Thanks,

Well, I finally gave up and had sent it in to Olympus. On the phone, they said the cleaning would be $35 or so. That sounded okay to me. So naturally when they received it, they sent me a bill for $130! That apparently is the flat-rate for XZ-1 repairs. Considering the camera is worth less than $250, I find $130 for a sensor cleaning to be excessive. I suspect this will be my last fixed-lens compact for quite a while...

DH

I had a Canon G9 cleaned by the factory about two years ago: cost was about what you're paying for the XZ-1 cleaning Pretty standard pricing, it would appear. In range of plumbers, auto repair shops, and other crafts for one to two hours of work.

I had a Canon G9 cleaned by the factory about two years ago: cost was about what you're paying for the XZ-1 cleaning Pretty standard pricing, it would appear. In range of plumbers, auto repair shops, and other crafts for one to two hours of work.

I guess that's true, but it's still hard to stomach paying more than 50% of the replacement cost of the device for such a service. The earlier quote of $35 didn't help either.

DH

Yes, that initial quote was irresponsible for sure. I swallowed hard before deciding to go ahead with the repair. I had it done, and, of course, I haven't used the camera since...

Well, for anybody who's interested, it is possible to disassemble the XZ-1 to clean the sensor. It's not terribly difficult - you just need a small Philips screwdriver and a good system to catalog all the tiny screws. I basically followed the instructions on this page.

Well, I finally gave up and had sent it in to Olympus. On the phone, they said the cleaning would be $35 or so. That sounded okay to me. So naturally when they received it, they sent me a bill for $130! That apparently is the flat-rate for XZ-1 repairs. Considering the camera is worth less than $250, I find $130 for a sensor cleaning to be excessive. I suspect this will be my last fixed-lens compact for quite a while...

DH

Its worth nothing over here on the open market but mine is worth a lot to me so I'll pay up if ever I get dust on the sensor. There aren't too many 1/1.63 sensors around any more and I really like the XZ-1.

Back