Dusted off my FZ200 for some insect photography

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
I've been considering getting an FZ1000 to replace my FZ200 which I've recently been carrying around on bird watching walks in case I run into a rare bird in which case I can at least get a record shot.

I've also been photographing some insects with it, usually at full zoom which limits me to being at least 1 metre away from my subject. The FZ1000 is limited to around 400mm equivalent focal length in 35mm terms so any image will be smaller, but the bigger sensor would allow for greater cropping but also exhibit a smaller depth of field.

I've thus fitted an old Nikon 5T close up lens which gives me focussing ability closer than 1 metre but means removing said close up lens if I come across a rare bird.

I have to admit that I'm reasonably pleased with the results I'm obtaining, both with and without the close up lens, any images are more likely to be used for projection than printing. I've included a few examples.

P1020887.jpg

Common Wasp FZ200, cropped, hand held

P1020905.jpg

Drone-fly with FZ200, cropped, hand held

P1020914.jpg

Hover Fly Episyrphus balteatus with FZ200, cropped, hand held

P1030044-Helophilus-pendulus.jpg

Hover Fly Heophilus pendulus with FZ200 and Nikon 5T close up lens, cropped, hand held

P1030038.jpg

Entangled Bee (which freed itself seconds later), FZ200 with Nikon 5T close up lens, cropped, hand held

Based on what you've done here, Barrie, I wouldnt bother with the FZ1000. Yes, it can be cropped (and via some combinations of features, will "zoom" to insane distances... but the quality is lacking)... but do you need it? These insect shots are excellent.

Based on what you've done here, Barrie, I wouldnt bother with the FZ1000. Yes, it can be cropped (and via some combinations of features, will "zoom" to insane distances... but the quality is lacking)... but do you need it? These insect shots are excellent.
Thanks for your observations Sue, I have to admit that I'm coming round to the idea that there is more mileage in the FZ200 and that a change would not gain a great deal, perhaps focus peaking would be the most useful gain but by taking a burst of images there's usually one, and with luck and a following wind more than one acceptably in focus from front to back of the subject, or at least near enough for purpose.

Barrie

Back