Nikon Dusted off the D300...

Covey22

Hall of Famer
...and I'm reminded once again why we need different toolsets. As much as I love the portability and compactness of my second-hand Fuji XE-1, it's just not up to the task sometimes of shooting low-light and fast moving subjects, especially when you need a spot-meter that's off-center and slaved to your active AF point. Evening indoor concerts are a case in point. A relative was paying for tickets to a well-known Jazz musician, so I grabbed the D300 and the 180mm f2.8D, and away I went. I sometimes swapped with my newer 85mm f1.8G, which is incredible, even in contre-jour lighting. Unfortunately, the long lens is showing it's age, especially with CA artifacting on the brass instruments, but still did a yeoman's job. Given how light it is, I'm glad I had it instead of a heavier zoom, especially since I had to slog my way from a poorly shoveled parking lot over what must have been a glacier of ice.

You've got some nice shots there and I hope you enjoyed some good music as well. I do miss my D300 a bit but not the 180mm Nikkor. As you've said, there's quite a bit of CA to deal with, too much for my taste.

Back