Software DxO PhotoLab 6

The DxO forum supplied the workaround for the blue cast issue which seems to appear only on M1 Macs running Ventura.

In brief, go to DxO PL6's Preferences > Advanced and change the DeepPRIME Acceleration from 'Apple Neural Engine' to 'GPU Apple M1'. Unfortunately on my Mac Mini this increases export time from 12 to 50 seconds for a single ORF (Olympus) RAW file.

Last edited:
The DxO forum supplied the workaround for the blue cast issue which seems to appear only on M1 Macs running Ventura.

In brief, go to DxO PL6's Preferences > Advanced and change the DeepPRIME Acceleration from 'Apple Neural Engine' to 'GPU Apple M1'. Unfortunately on my Mac Mini this increase export time from 12 to 50 seconds for a single ORF (Olympus) RAW file.
That's about what it is on my iMac for an ORF with Deep Prime XD.

I used DxO elusively for quite awhile, possibly even a bit of a fanboy. Then when 5 came out I had a huge problem with file 'capture time' being changed on export. The bug has since been resolved but it took quite some time and was a big pain as exported files time shift varied by camera. Now, looking at the forums it looks like v6 may have quite a few issues that need worked through. I certainly wish the company luck but I am a little worried that their product may be becoming a little more complex than the team can keep up with. I know that competition is tough so they want to add as many features as possible to keep sales up but it would be nice to see a year with a little less development to get the current product fully stable.

I used DxO elusively for quite awhile, possibly even a bit of a fanboy. Then when 5 came out I had a huge problem with file 'capture time' being changed on export. The bug has since been resolved but it took quite some time and was a big pain as exported files time shift varied by camera. Now, looking at the forums it looks like v6 may have quite a few issues that need worked through. I certainly wish the company luck but I am a little worried that their product may be becoming a little more complex than the team can keep up with. I know that competition is tough so they want to add as many features as possible to keep sales up but it would be nice to see a year with a little less development to get the current product fully stable.
DxO was my go to tool for a lot of photos taken on my trusty old Canon Powershot compact. Not so much these days as I'm heavily invested in LR Classic.

To a degree I agree that they're maybe trying to punch above their weight. Though in this instance I wonder if they weren't caught out by unfortunate timing. It seems the blue cast problem is with MacOS Ventura which came out at about the same time as the release of PL6. Not sure if DxO should have had access to a beta or not released PL6 until they'd tested it on the latest MacOS. Whichever, it's put me off upgrading to PL6 especially when Topaz have a great offer on their entire suite of programs. Very tempting as the denoise program isn't limited to RAW formats.

But, you're right, there have been problems in the past and this current crop of issues suggests a trend. I wish they'd not bothered with XD and beefed up the DAM side of things to at least start to play catch up with LR which, despite the cumbersome catalog system, excels at sorting, finding, collecting, mapping, etc.

I take back some of what I said earlier. Having upgraded to PL6 I see a noticeable and welcome difference on older shots taken on cameras I no longer have, particularly my much missed Canon PowerShot S90 and the not so missed Canon 20D. The best results I've had so far contain other people's kids so I can't post them but here's a so-so shot of our DD from years back on the S90 - 1/50th, f4, ISO3200.

Left = DeepPRIME, right = DeepPRIME XD. In the latter, noise is eliminated almost entirely.
Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 17.20.47.png

Last edited:
That is impressive and easy to see the difference! Are they both made using the same strength of the DeepPRIME filter?
Yes. I wanted a fair comparison so kept all settings the same other than selecting XD.

I’m having a great time using the metadata sort in LR’s Library module to select old high ISO images, processing them in PL6 and creating keepers.

It’s worth putting up with the bugs in this initial release for some of the results I’m getting.

Is the upgrade from Viewpoint 3 to VP4 worth it? Is there much difference?
I upgraded to VP4 solely for the ReShape tool. Yes, I can use Photoshop to do similar warping, and probably easier (the ReShape tool is a bit fiddly/tedious to use), but with VP4 inside PL6 I’m doing it to the RAW image rather than to a demosaiced and processed TIFF. If the ReShape tool isn’t important to you, then stick with VP3.

I forgot to mention the other reason I upgraded. VP4 works on Apple silicon as well as Intel, whereas VP3 is Intel only. I would have to upgrade to VP4 when I upgrade my Mac in a year or two, so I figured I might as well upgrade now.

Every time I pick up DXO again, I get frustrated by how hard it is to manage colors from my DNGs from the GR and Pentax. I just cannot find my way around successful color tweaking, when PhotoLab opens up my file the colors look atrocious most of the time. I wish DXO would completely remake their toolset.

I am finding the blues seem to be over saturated and a bit "off" in DxO Photolab, and worse in PL6 .... this using an Olympus M5 Mk3, I haven't tried any other cameras yet.

I am finding the blues seem to be over saturated and a bit "off" in DxO Photolab, and worse in PL6 .... this using an Olympus M5 Mk3, I haven't tried any other cameras yet.
I had the same problem but only with my Olympus M5 Mk3 pictures. Older images from Canon and Nikon cameras were fine. I've pretty much eliminated the Oly "offness" by using Color Fidelity colour profiles. I debated with myself about whether it was worth the effort and (relatively small) cost but eventually bought one for the Oly and have not regretted it. It's not a perfect solution but it does give me a base image that's far better to work with than without the profile.

(I'm assuming you're either not a Silicon Mac user or have seen the PL6 workaround earlier in this thread and have a decent, colour balanced monitor.)

I had the same problem but only with my Olympus M5 Mk3 pictures. Older images from Canon and Nikon cameras were fine. I've pretty much eliminated the Oly "offness" by using Color Fidelity colour profiles. I debated with myself about whether it was worth the effort and (relatively small) cost but eventually bought one for the Oly and have not regretted it. It's not a perfect solution but it does give me a base image that's far better to work with than without the profile.

(I'm assuming you're either not a Silicon Mac user or have seen the PL6 workaround earlier in this thread and have a decent, colour balanced monitor.)

Thanks - yes I realised I had given inadequate information. Also that I use Windows not mac.

Okay I'll look at that ,as the skies are frustrating me! And at this time of the year the skies are very blue, but not the off blue I am seeing, although I am not good at remembering hues .... how does one do that?

Okay - so I have paid for the appropriate Color Fidelity .... how do I access it? Don't see any instructions
Firstly unzip the downloaded file and note where you've stored it.

To import a color profile into DxO
- go to Customize (top left)
- Color palette tab(right, three rings)
- Color Rendering section
- Category = DCP Profile
- Rendering = Import DCP profile
Navigate to where you stored the unzipped profiles, select one, Open / OK it and you're done.
You'll need to repeat this for each profile.

To actually use the profiles
- go to Customize
- Color palette tab(three rings)
- Category = DCP Profile
- Rendering = choose a profile and it's applied immediately.

Hope this helps with your colour issues.

Firstly unzip the downloaded file and note where you've stored it.

To import a color profile into DxO
- go to Customize (top left)
- Color palette tab(right, three rings)
- Category = DCP Profile
- Rendering = Import DCP profile
Navigate to where you stored the unzipped profiles, select one, Open / OK it and you're done.
You'll need to repeat this for each profile.

To actually use the profiles
- go to Customize
- Color palette tab(three rings)
- Category = DCP Profile
- Rendering = choose a profile and it's applied immediately.

Hope this helps with your colour issues.

Thanks for the helpful instructions, will have a go. The email with the zip arrived overnight, but then the instructions were for Adobe products :) <sigh>

But your instructions seem clear.

Back