Sony dynamic range

rw11

Regular
My RX100M3 is blowing out the highlights when I take pics with both full sun and shade. Is this just a limitation of the camera or is their some setting I can change to keep those highlights?

I shoot jpg + raw but am not (yet) processing the raw files. I could do that in the future as I save them all.

Thx!

Do you have DRO enabled? It's a software trick that makes the camera shoot an underexposed image (to preserve the highlights) and then boosts the shadows to give the overall image the proper exposure again. The boosting is only done to jpegs; if you want to boost the raw files, you can.

No, I am using i mode and that will not allow DRO to be turned on. You'd think i mode would be smart enough to not blow out the highlights like that...

^ I don't think film has that much more latitude than the current state of the art FF (and some APSC) sensors? The highlight roll-off is still smoother on film, but if you consider both highlights and shadows, I think the high end of digital is pretty much on par with good film now, no?

rw11, on DRO being turned off in i mode: is it possible that it's greyed out in the menu, meaning you can't change the setting manually, but it is working whenever the i mode deems it necessary? It would be very odd for the i mode to not use something as useful as DRO. I don't think you can set the metering mode yourself either, when using i mode?

If you use one of the PASM modes, does enabling or disabling DRO make a difference?

Even my old Nikon D80 captures the light range in these scenes fine. My newer D610 easily does so. The pocket camera 100M3 does not.

I tried to turn on the DRO and the camera gave me a error msg, saying I could not select that in i mode. I may try P later on, but then I lose the ability for the camera to adjust ISO and other things, and for action or a grab shot it is a lot faster at that than I am.

The RX100iii should have at least as much dynamic range as the D80.

I would confirm that you're using matrix metering.
I would assume that imode would but you never know.
If it is I'd line it up next to your Nikons and compare exposure details.
A negative comp could work out nicely.

^ I don't think film has that much more latitude than the current state of the art FF (and some APSC) sensors? The highlight roll-off I think the high end of digital is pretty much on par with good film now, no?
Send of a high end digital camera and I'll let you know

Latitutde isn't the same thing as dynamic range btw

Send of a high end digital camera and I'll let you know
Send what of a high end digital camera? I think you forgot a word there?
Latitutde isn't the same thing as dynamic range btw
I did some reading up on it, and you're right (although it is pretty much the same thing if you're shooting digitally and using raw files, due to raw being linear).

and rw11, as Nic said, you can still rely on the camera to adjust the exposure to match the circumstances in P mode, as well as in Aperture and Shutter priority modes. Only in Manual do you have to adjust the exposure yourself (and on some cameras, not even necessarily then).

Back