Micro 4/3 E-M10 as a fixed lens

kevistopheles

Top Veteran
Okay I realize that the whole point of a camera like the E-M10 is that is is an ILC but hear me out. For a while now I have though it would be and to have a Fuji X100. Of course it has a lens that is a good deal wider than I generally like and no floppy screen. it ma seem like an abomination to some folks but after years of shooting a NEX 5n I have become quite fond of flip screens. I recently got an Olympus E-M10 as a gift and decided to try an experiment, I picked up a Panasonic 20/1.7 to go with it and decided to use it like I would a fixed lens camera like the X100. I don't see myself investing in m43 lenses so it seems like a good fit.

24151895632_e36792275b_b.jpg

lawn slacker
by kevin dixey, on Flickr

Overall I am pretty happy with it. The combo is small, responsive, has a flip screen has a FL that I like quite a bit. If I had bought everything new it would have been a bit cheaper than a new X100S/T. Used it was still less although I could have problem picked up an original X100 for close to the same amount. The image quality is decent (although not great) but I am still learning to get the best out of the camera so I'm reasonably certain I can improve on that.

So one argument against is that is I wanted an X100 should I just get one because no matter what I do it will always NOT be an X100 and I will probably get one anyway. Well, I can't say that I ever wanted an X100 specifically. I find them interesting and they produce great results but what I wanted was a lot more generalized than that and for me this combo is a nice fit. I suppose it could have been satisfied with any number of cameras (like the Fuji X-T1) but I do have a special fondness for the Panasonic 20 so in a way that is what makes this work for me.

I'm looking forward to coming up with a process for getting BW images from this kit that I like.

Last edited:
You could always, change FL later by adding another lens, if you find yourself too limited. I'm never completely happy with just one, for very long. But, it depends a lot, on what you shot. I personally prefer two small bodies, with different FL lenses mounted. I hate changing lenses.

I used a GF1 + 20/1.7 combo as a "poor man's X100" when that camera was still selling for $1000+. I like the idea of the E-M10 + 20 as a FL camera of sorts, but for me the X100 is impossible to beat for <$350 used. But I really love the look I get from the X100 (preferred it to the X100T) and I find myself somehow enjoying quirky cameras, which the X100 certainly can be. For ease of use and efficiency the E-M10 would win hands down.

The 17mm f/1.8 is most often fixed on my m4/3 body of choice/moment. I do have a good selection of other lenses but I often use just a few on an outing like the 7.5mm, 17mm, and a 42.5mm. While not treating it as a fixed lens, it's still minimalist.

I used a GF1 + 20/1.7 combo as a "poor man's X100" when that camera was still selling for $1000+. I like the idea of the E-M10 + 20 as a FL camera of sorts, but for me the X100 is impossible to beat for <$350 used. But I really love the look I get from the X100 (preferred it to the X100T) and I find myself somehow enjoying quirky cameras, which the X100 certainly can be. For ease of use and efficiency the E-M10 would win hands down.

I really like the output from the original X100 in BW. (I also prefer the original X-Trans in the X-E1 and X-Pro 1 to the newer cameras) that said, I know myself well enough to realize that the wider FL and lack of flippy screen on the X100 would bug me.

You could always, change FL later by adding another lens, if you find yourself too limited. I'm never completely happy with just one, for very long. But, it depends a lot, on what you shot. I personally prefer two small bodies, with different FL lenses mounted. I hate changing lenses.

Maybe so, not sure which lens I would get though. Maybe the O45 but I have such a love hate thing with that lens. I like that it has terrific IQ and is affordable but man do I hate the crappy build quality and the minimum focus distance of about half a mile. On second thought...probably the Panasonic 14/2.5

No reason you can't use an ILC as a fixed lens camera - I do it with my Nikon DF all the time. Just put a lens on it, that the camera out like that, and don't take any other lenses. The beauty of it is it can be a different fixed lens camera every day! Or just one. And sometimes, if you need to, you can use it like an ILC... Even on days I take a bag out with 3-4 lenses, I often end up never changing out of the prime that was on the camera when I left home. And if you just own one lens, well using it as a fixed lens is assured.

-Ray

My OMD EM5 was purchased with the idea of using it like a fixed-lens camera. With the 12-50 mounted, it's my all-weather camera. The FZ200 is my telephoto camera, and the LX100 is my see-in-the-dark camera.

Just because you can change lenses on your M10 doesn't mean you have to. Frankly, I applaud your efforts.

Cheers, Jock

I have a Sony A7 and FE 35mm f2.8 which now lives on the body. I would like a wide angle but keep thinking that if I need to I can just take a couple images and stitch them together in Ps/Lr. I would dearly love a Leica Q but it's out my price range sadly so having 24Mp fixed (sort of) full frame is a real good 2nd best. I also have a Panasonic G3 with 20mm f1.7 which is brilliant although the AF is a little slow but still fun to use.

One thing I love about My RX100 is that you can't take the lens off. I therefore have no desire to change anything about it. I get pretty frustrated with trying to work out what lens to put on the ILC's or what lens to buy for the A7. Having a fixed lens would stop me getting GAS and buying every lens on the planet. I'm going to try and stick with the 35 f2.8 and see if I can manage with just that lens.

23698064023_19dc2c631e_b.jpg

two approaches to making a wall
by kevin dixey, on Flickr

I like the simplicity. Whenever I used to take a lens out for a specific purpose thinking I'll shoot a certain way it never panned out so just sticking with a single FL makes that process simple. No planning, you just go, know what you have to work with and figure it out in the moment. I also find that removing extra choices helps ignore the camera entirely. I just have to juggle a few things.

Last edited:
I also favor the "New York Reload" approach to ILC photography.

The 17mm f/1.8 is most often fixed on my m4/3 body of choice/moment. I do have a good selection of other lenses but I often use just a few on an outing like the 7.5mm, 17mm, and a 42.5mm. While not treating it as a fixed lens, it's still minimalist.
I actually use my E-PL7 this way: The 17mm f/1.8 more or less lives on it, but sometimes gets swapped for the 7.5mm, the 12mm (rarely) or the 45mm. Oh, and I still keep my GF1 around with the 20mm f/1.7 (again) firmly fixed to it - that lens just feels better on the GF1 than the E-PL7. For even more shooting fun, I use the old and really rather crude optional EVF for framing on the GF1 - feels very vintage in spite of the still quite modern paradigm ... Poor man's X100 indeed. It's a shame that the Olympus VF-2 I still keep from my E-PM1 days is so bulky.

M.

Nice images Kevin. With my E-M5 I used the Oly 25mm almost exclusively. Well, 92+% of the time. It was an easy camera to bring along.

Thanks Michael, I too am finding it very easy to carry everywhere. So far it is working out well and doing what I ask of it. I hear the Olympus 25 is a very nice lens as well. I like things a bit wider so I opted for the P20

It's totally okay to use an ILC as a fixed-lens camera. My Panasonic 14/2.5 was basically glued to my Micro 4/3 bodies and Olympus 45/1.8 appeared only if I had to shoot portraits.

It's totally okay to use an ILC as a fixed-lens camera. My Panasonic 14/2.5 was basically glued to my Micro 4/3 bodies and Olympus 45/1.8 appeared only if I had to shoot portraits.

I could see doing much the same (except maybe with the 14/2.5 instead of the 45/1.8 as I rarely shoot portraits).:D

I actually use my E-PL7 this way: The 17mm f/1.8 more or less lives on it, but sometimes gets swapped for the 7.5mm, the 12mm (rarely) or the 45mm. Oh, and I still keep my GF1 around with the 20mm f/1.7 (again) firmly fixed to it - that lens just feels better on the GF1 than the E-PL7. For even more shooting fun, I use the old and really rather crude optional EVF for framing on the GF1 - feels very vintage in spite of the still quite modern paradigm ... Poor man's X100 indeed. It's a shame that the Olympus VF-2 I still keep from my E-PM1 days is so bulky.

M.
Over the holidays I was REALLY tempted to pick up one of the GM1, GM5, EP5 deals. It took a great deal of restraint.

Nothing at all wrong or weird about using an ILC camera as you have stated. Back in the old days, may people bought a 35mm SLR with the typical 50mm lens and never added anything more. I use my X-Pro a lot with the 27mm lens (40mm EFL) because I've always liked fix lens cameras around that focal length, like the old fixed lens rangefinders that often used it. Of course the Fuji 35mm f1.4 is a gorgeous lens, and I am very happy to have it, but the 27mm pancake makes a great take anywhere, shove in a large coat pocket camera. There's no one "right" way to use a camera.

Back