Micro 4/3 E-M1iii and E-M5 iii discontinued?

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
A bunch of Fuji models have been discontinued by apparently OMDS has a few as well:
Probably ran out of parts for the older models and it's not really economically viable to ask Sony or whoever to make a new batch. The current rumor is that the new OM-5 will use the same sensor as the OM-1. I wonder about the Pens.

It’s almost like those models missed the middle/end of their production phase and the manufacturers are just moving on. Hopefully with new models. I don’t think I saw two moments when the X-E4 was in stock.

I've found that rumor websites aren't usually very good sources of information. The X-T4's are readily available at the major US online retailers. The X-E4's are all showing as backordered 4-6 weeks. Both models are all over Fuji's websites. Some retailers will tell you a product they can't get is discontinued because they want to sell you something they have.

OM systems has the E-M1X, E-M1iii, E-M5iii, E-M10iv and OM-1 all listed. That's all the current models in the E/OM line. They all seem to be available to purchase from OM systems and US retailers.

If you want an X-E4 just wait a few weeks. Anything else you can just buy. I very much doubt Fuji is discontinuing current models. OM Systems may discontinue models and streamline their offerings. I could easily see them going to four models covering the E/OM and Pen lines. OM1, OM5, OM10 and Pen whatever.

I've found that rumor websites aren't usually very good sources of information. The X-T4's are readily available at the major US online retailers. The X-E4's are all showing as backordered 4-6 weeks. Both models are all over Fuji's websites. Some retailers will tell you a product they can't get is discontinued because they want to sell you something they have.

OM systems has the E-M1X, E-M1iii, E-M5iii, E-M10iv and OM-1 all listed. That's all the current models in the E/OM line. They all seem to be available to purchase from OM systems and US retailers.

If you want an X-E4 just wait a few weeks. Anything else you can just buy. I very much doubt Fuji is discontinuing current models. OM Systems may discontinue models and streamline their offerings. I could easily see them going to four models covering the E/OM and Pen lines. OM1, OM5, OM10 and Pen whatever.
These aren't rumors, however. They are just reporting what is listed on Japanese websites. I'm sure there are little stockpiles of these products around the world, but that doesn't mean they are still being produced.

These aren't rumors, however. They are just reporting what is listed on Japanese websites. I'm sure there are little stockpiles of these products around the world, but that doesn't mean they are still being produced.
I'm probably wrong about Fuji. I haven't really paid much attention to them until recently and had it in my head that the X-T4 was a new camera, not over two years old. Since these are manufactured in short runs it can be hard to tell when a product is discontinued. One of the things I'm seeing is people all over the internet saying Fuji has announced the cameras being discontinued. If they have, I can't find it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're selling stock on hand in anticipation of new models. The same as OM Systems.

I’m not necessarily GASsing right now. I just find this all really interesting. However, if they make an X-S20 or X-T40 with the new 40 MP chip and the price is closer to $1000 USD than $1500, I will be sorely tempted. If nothing else, mainstream use of the 40 MP will tighten up the standards quite a bit for any new lenses.

The OM1 MkIII house is on sale from Oly Europe at about €1300 at the moment untill the end of September, the OM5MkIII with the 12-45 f:4 is at €1600ish, but with a €350 cashback on the 40-150 f:4, untill end of October.

The 1MkIII price seems to be a "blow-out" price, the 5MkIII not so much.

The OM1 MkIII house is on sale from Oly Europe at about €1300 at the moment untill the end of September, the OM5MkIII with the 12-45 f:4 is at €1600ish, but with a €350 cashback on the 40-150 f:4, untill end of October.

The 1MkIII price seems to be a "blow-out" price, the 5MkIII not so much.
The Em5 iii is $899 at B&H, brand new. This is tempting. This would be such a good little outdoor camera, especially since my wife has been talking national parks lately and I have no WR bodies. Of course, a used Em1 ii is cheaper, has a better grip, etc.

Edit: I even found an EM1X and Em1 iii for $999, which is the same price as a new EM5 iii with the Olympus grip.

Last edited:
The Em5 iii is $899 at B&H, brand new.
That is proper cheap, over here it lingers between 12-1300$ for the body, which is simply stupid, given that the EM1MkIII body currently goes for $1320ish. One get to buy the 40-150 f:4 with a cashback of $350 with the EM-5, though.

That is proper cheap, over here it lingers between 12-1300$ for the body, which is simply stupid, given that the EM1MkIII body currently goes for $1320ish. One get to buy the 40-150 f:4 with a cashback of $350 with the EM-5, though.
I don't know where "over here" is, but when i bought my E-M5.3 it was at full price almost immediately after it came out, and I paid $1200. A month later it dropped to $1000, and it's been about $1000 (when on sale, which periodically happens) since. So I'm thinking that $899 isn't all that great a price. The camera is worth it, i think, and that price IS $100 less than it has been available for, but it's no great deal, IMHO. I suppose it depends on where you live.

Edit: I even found an EM1X and Em1 iii for $999, which is the same price as a new EM5 iii with the Olympus grip.
That's quite a steal for both cameras in my opinion. Here in Europe OM Digital currently has a sale for the E-M1X and has it discounted for €1399 - which is a great price nonetheless, that camera rarely was sold lower than ~€1700.

I am pretty sure a number of companies will streamline their production and product catalogue, not only due to rising prices, but also the continueing shortage of electronic components. In case of Fujifilm I am actually quite surprised about the X-E4, it looked like this was a fairly popular model and that camera isn't even two years old. Maybe it wasn't as popular compared to the other models, since no brand is being transparent in actual unit sales, one can only guess.

Back