E-PM2 and RX100 side by side

Amin

Hall of Famer
Picked up an E-PM2 locally today. I love the size/weight/feel. Here it is next to the RX100:

8148051282_e785f561aa_z.jpg

8148049858_c170cf8064_z.jpg

Sorry for the lousy pic quality (bad phone camera, bad light).

I know the CameraSize site has the size simulations down, but I like to see the real thing sometimes.

Nice to see the comparison. I'm thinking of the Olympus as a present for my kid. A very versatile yet small camera. I look forward to hearing what you think of it in use.

GX1 is the odd duck out ;)

Amin -- I have a question on the EPM2/EPL5.

One of the reasons (there were a couple others, too) I didn't keep my OMD was that it created a sort of "purple fringing" much more than my older m43 or my NEX 5n. I thought it was purple fringing, but when doing research, it seems to be a type of sensor blooming. See Chromatic aberrations

This has made me trigger-shy on the new Pens. Below is some 100% zooming onto an OMD and 5n comparison shot I took before selling the OMD. There were others, but the upshot was all the same. This shot was taken with a CV75/2.5 -- a lens known for pf to begin with -- and you can see the 5n was much worse. In post, I could edit out the 5n, but it was hard to get rid of the OMD's issues. Have you seen anything like this on the new Pens?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-04 at 6.25.16 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-11-04 at 6.25.16 AM.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 202
Bill, I haven't had any problems like that with the Pens, but I haven't with the E-M5 either.

Fwiw, I've never been convinced by any arguments that a particular purple fringing fringing phenomenon represents sensor bloom when it can be explained on the basis of axial CA. Whatever the cause, I haven't had a problem with it.

In the case of your attached shot above, I think the wider fringing with the OMD than NEX is explained by the higher pixel density of the sensor and higher crop factor, both of which resulted in the CA landing on more pixels. With this type of example, it's a one click fix in Lightroom:

Bill, I haven't had any problems like that with the Pens, but I haven't with the E-M5 either.

Fwiw, I've never been convinced by any arguments that a particular purple fringing fringing phenomenon represents sensor bloom when it can be explained on the basis of axial CA. Whatever the cause, I haven't had a problem with it.

In the case of your attached shot above, I think the wider fringing with the OMD than NEX is explained by the higher pixel density of the sensor and higher crop factor, both of which resulted in the CA landing on more pixels. With this type of example, it's a one click fix in Lightroom:

Thanks Amin. Blooming or fringe, the purple halo is actually still visible in the fixed OMD shot (same result I got) and there is a distinct white haze more so than the 5n.

Any rate, it was in many shot comparisons. I think I'll wait a bit before getting back into m43. Wait for the Pens to drop in price to test on my own, or see what the EP5 might look like.

Bill, I have noticed a little bit of purple fringing more prevalent on my OMD than cameras with APS-C sensor. I was using the the PL25, and shooting RAW. It was not as bad as your sample above though. I didn't even notice the purple fringing until after I converted to JPG.

Back