Micro 4/3 Early EP3 images...

E-P3 goes to its first soccer game

First real test of the new M.Zuiko 40-150 lens as well as the focus abilities for sports/action shots.
P8060251mod.jpg

Was a learning experience not using an eye-level OVF. Luckily an overcast sort of day so using the rear LCD worked OK, but if I reckon that to do this sort of photography at all seriously then a VF2 or VF3 will have to be added to the kit. No matter how light the cmaera and lens, the ergonomics of constantly extended arms is not fun, and you dont really get to see the image as clearly as in eye-level finder.
But very happy with the AF performance was as fast as a blink and accurate all th way through the zoom range, and at distance and at 2 metre close-ups.
Was using the auto-ISO, which chose ISO 200 for a speed of 1/250 at f5.6 (full aperture) at full zoom 150mm. Quite pleased with the image quality. Not sure if it common, but the zoom action is pretty stiff, which discouraged me from being too zoom-happy.

Nice Shot! Did you get quite a number of keepers? What was your opinion of the AF speed of the camera for this type of shot?

I just (forgot) that I had back-ordered a bargain-priced 40-150, which showed up unexpected last week. I have to say, I agree on the zoom action. Stiff and not smooth. The 14-150 is much better, and IMO IQ is very nearly equal (of course, the lens is more expensive, too).

Sports/Action with M.Zuiko 40-150

Nice Shot! Did you get quite a number of keepers? What was your opinion of the AF speed of the camera for this type of shot?

I just (forgot) that I had back-ordered a bargain-priced 40-150, which showed up unexpected last week. I have to say, I agree on the zoom action. Stiff and not smooth. The 14-150 is much better, and IMO IQ is very nearly equal (of course, the lens is more expensive, too).

Keeper rate, in terms of in focus and unblurrred by my panning etc, was probably about 80%. I use single AF and pump the shutter continuously - have yet to try the continuous AF. On S-AF the speed seemed as good as my previous Pentax K-7, so I am presuming in the .2 sec range as measured for the E-P3 by imaging resource site.
The stiff zoom action I have read is to stop zoom creep, so it is intended to prevent that happening, however the action is a bit catchy as well, which means a bit of extra effort to twist the zoom collar - which in turn leads to upsetting the camera holding, easily done without the camera body braced against your face. So as I said, me thinks an clip-on EVF would be a good step to getting the camera braced more securely for zooming.
Optical quality looks to be very good for a budget lens. Blissfully light after DSLR examples!:cool:

Lookin' awfully good you all!

Tom, never ever hesitate to post here because many of us don't go over across the hall, some aren't even members there. It would also be great if you'd post them in a larger size so we could appreciate their finer points. Glorious clouds included!

Your top one looks good now, Tom. I think the issue is with the portrait size...which you may also have increased now as well because it seems larger to me. For those of us who are being thoughtful and not wanting to make people scroll up and down it's often difficult to post portrait oriented images in a larger size without having to make people scroll - at least for those of us without large screens.;)

Are you using attachments vs the gallery? I believe 1024 is the optimum size. I'm afraid I'm ignorant about pixels. Here's a thread that discusses this sort of thing: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f17/serious-compacts-gallery-faq-46/ and this https://www.photographerslounge.org/f17/how-post-images-forum-threads-45/ but I think you already know this stuff as it's pretty similar if not the same as on Mu43.

Such beautiful lighting here, Jono! And, oh, to have such a "backyard"!

Is that your son? He is a very handsome young man with beautiful eyes. He might not like to hear about his beautiful eyes now, but I'm sure they'll stand him in good stead.

Hi There - thank you - dangerous evening light, but it's a nice piece of chaos! As for the lad - he's actually our son's partner's son (complicated eh!)

Here is our son (well, at least, one of them - we have 3)
_8070516.jpg

and here he is again in our kitchen:

_8070520.jpg

The above shots were taken with a Leica Noctilux wide open . .

this is over the fields (morning walk stuff) and was taken with the 12 f2:

_8090527.jpg

Now broke, already spent my tax refund that I haven't got yet - went to an Olympus event at Foto Riesel (Sydney) where there were some Olympus reps showing off new and yet to be released stuff and picked up an Olympus E-P3 with kit zoom (black and sweet) and placed the 12mm f/2 lens on order (should have it in a couple of weeks). Had a play with the 45mm f/1.8 as well but dissapointed that it doesn't have the the nice focus ring of the 12mm f/2. I will probably get the 45mm eventually but am in no rush to do so.

Peter, my friend, I am quite impressed - and so must you have been~ You have been such a stalwart E-P1 shooter and shown the amazing capacities of the first PEN... I can't wait to see what you and that 12mm bring to the world!:drinks::yahoo:

A couple of photos from a walk on the beach tonight - overcast and light going fast meant not much photo ops until found a bit of seaweed ...

P8110497sml.jpg

And a bit of detail:

P8110504sml.jpg

So convenient to take the P3 and two zooms - was less hassle than carrying the K7 DSLR with one kit zoom!

Thanks for the kind words. The way the seaweed had twisted around reminded me of a mobius strip or an infinity symbol - amazing how some salt air gets the grey cells firing!

Back