Fuji Early X20 Glitch - Defaulting to 'S' image size on its own

ci-lee

Regular
I just picked up my X20 the other day and have begun to determine the best setup for my needs. One aspect I haven't changed is the resolution, yet I find the camera changes to 2048x1536 resolution without my input...is anyone else noticing this with their cameras? If so, think this is an early gremlin to be fixed by firmware or should I go back to my shop and exchange it?

I just picked up my X20 the other day and have begun to determine the best setup for my needs. One aspect I haven't changed is the resolution, yet I find the camera changes to 2048x1536 resolution without my input...is anyone else noticing this with their cameras? If so, think this is an early gremlin to be fixed by firmware or should I go back to my shop and exchange it?

Wow. Mine has not done this, at least not yet. How does this manifest itself? Just shooting along and it up and changes? Are power cycles involved?

If you don't insert a memory card, the camera will reduce resolution in order to fit the shot in its internal memory. This is a nice feature and better than "out of memory" error messages.

Of course, if the camera does this with an inserted SD card, either card or the camera is defective.

The camera clearly indicates when it's using its tiny internal memory. It even displays a warning message after you switch it on.

With RAW enabled, there's only room for 1 single RAW shot. You can always redevelop the RAW in-camera once you add a memory card, or off camera with Lightroom etc., both in full-size glory.

Or simply disable RAW, and you can shoot and internally store 4 frames in JPEG FINE size L. Or more smaller shots. Per default, the camera chooses an option that lets you shoot as many images as possible. Internal memory is an emergency mode. Many use it to shoot their business card or address, so if the camera is lost and found, you have a simple way of proving that it's yours (and a means of telling the finder how to contact you).

Flysurfer, thank you! It was the removal of the SD card. i was shooting various ISO, NR, and DR test shots so i was ejecting the card to upload each series...occasionally, i would turn the camera w/o the memory card which is when the camera changed to 'S' mode.

Mystery solved!!

Back