Documentary Eastern Bonfire

Matero

Hall of Famer
In Eastern, on Saturday after Good Friday we have habit in some parts of the country to light up bonfire to save us from trolls and witches. When God's protecting power has been at lowest Him sleeping in the cave. The more sparks and smoke the better. Witches can't get trough spark-rain. My family is from that area where the habit is strongest, but in city environment one has to improvise. And try to avoid spark and smoke. But I believe this will do.

eastern_bonfire 4783 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV EF50mm f-1.2L USM.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

eastern_bonfire 4787 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV EF50mm f-1.2L USM.jpg

eastern_bonfire 4792 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV EF50mm f-1.2L USM.jpg

Nice tradition! In the east of the Netherlands there are usually massive bonfires at Easter, but I'm not sure it has anything to do with trolls, witches or God sleeping in a cave. I like your version!

The first photo, I really like the little whispy flames higher up, the ghostly look matches the idea of the tradition. And the swirly smoke on the side. The third shot is like I'm looking straight down into hell!

I actually believe the habit is pre-Christian. But like many others, when it couldn’t be won it was adopted to Christianity. In same areas in Europe it symbolises burning Judas, for some it brings light and joy after Winter, symbolic fertility etc. But still it’s a nice tradition, alive and kicking in many parts of Nothern Europe.

Back