Fuji Eclipse . . a different perspective

Since I didn't have an appropriate filter for sun shots . . I decided to capture a different perspective of the eclipse. If you were in a partial eclipse area like I am (90% here) it may have seemed to the naked eye that the light dimming effect was noticeable but very minimal . . that's what I experienced. However, our pupils operate automatically like our cameras and adjust for available light. To see the real effect of the eclipse on visible light . . I set my X30 up for a normal exposure in manual mode, 1/500, f4, 0EV and took a reference shot at 8:26am (on Vancouver Island) in full sunlight almost two hours before scheduled peak eclipse (note: this appears slightly overexposed due to the large shadow across the bottom that was gone by the time the following time lapse shots were taken, but it serves to show the effect). Then, starting at 10:02 (only 20 minutes before peak eclipse) took a series of time lapse shots 4 minutes apart with the exact same manual settings. What the camera captures, without exposure adjustment, is very different from what my eyes saw with pupil adjustment. Just an interesting little experiment I thought.

DSCF3141.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCF3145.JPG

DSCF3149.JPG

DSCF3153.JPG

DSCF3157.JPG

DSCF3159.JPG

Back