Editing tools

• Polarr (my daily driver for online publication) - on Windows and Android
  • darktable (my go-to application for working with RAW files) - on Windows and GNU/Linux
  • XnView MP (DAM and base for printing) - on Windows and GNU/Linux
  • RawTherapee - on Windows and GNU/Linux
  • GIMP - on Windows and GNU/Linux
  • Snapseed - on Android and online
  • VueScan - on Windows and GNU/LInux
  • Google PhotoScan - on Android
  • OpenShot (video) - on Windows

M.

Lightroom Classic & Photoshop CC. Topaz and Nik for "special effects" and Capture One when I've got time to play.

Lightroom CC for developing raws / adjusting jpegs, both at home and in the train on my phone (great benefit of the cloud / subscription model).

And GIMP for the very rare case that I want to do combine elements of multiple photos or create something for a website.

I used to use GIMP for HDR and Microsoft ICE for panoramas, but Lightroom CC has taken over both those functions.

Capture one as a catalog program for the raw files and culling and to process the files from my monochrom.
DxO PL for all other raw conversions.
Output files are gathered in LR catalogs. DxO FilmPack or Nik silver efex for b&w work from LR to PS as smart object.

1. Lightroom v6.14 for file management duties.
  2. Capture One v12.1.5.9 for post processing.
  3. GIMP for non photographic image manipulation.
That workflow grabbed my attention. What would you do in GIMP that isn't available in LR or C1 (speaking as a person who is not at all familiar with GIMP)?

Primarily Lightroom Classic for photos. Photoshop when LR can't do what I need, and DxO for its DeepPrime noise reduction.
For video, it's Adobe Premiere (and Adobe After Effects when needed).

Oh, and FastStone to quickly cull my photos before importing to LR.

I mostly use Windows computers.

I have 15+ years of photos in Lightroom Classic. And it handles 96% of my photo editing needs. The other 4% is Photoshop.

The two places where Lightroom Classic fails me is in video and 360 (photo and video).

That workflow grabbed my attention. What would you do in GIMP that isn't available in LR or C1 (speaking as a person who is not at all familiar with GIMP)?

I create a goodly amount of technical documentation for work. GIMP let's me isolate what I want in pictures for the documents. Could prolly use the Affinity I just bought, but I know how to get around in GIMP.

Last edited:
Back