Eilean Donan

Great shot, Dewi. It's a very picturesque place - although having been into the castle I believe that the best thing to do is to take photos of it and move on (possibly via the cafe). It was a very disappointing visit indeed.

Here's my take on it from a few years back with much processing - I think yours is better though!

3836314795_aaf7a9fbf3_z.jpg

Eilean Donan (Tonemapped) by theoldsmithy, on Flickr

Been there many times and never bothered to cross the bridge. I think I might have been in the parking lot once. The best view is to head past the parking area and turn right just before the bridge. Go a short distance and take another right and then another right. This will take you up the hill on a local road. There are a few pullouts up there with this view of the lochs and Skye across the water.
eileandonan-X2.jpg

To be honest, as picturesque as it is, Eilean Donan is so much photographed now that it's become a bit of a Scottish cliche' - in the same vein as the Forth Rail Bridge. Those with more sense head on up from there over Wester Ross to Ullapool and go via the Applecross road - that's the real Scotland right there, the one that takes a bit of effort to get to. I've not finished processing the photos I took there yet but here's one looking down Loch Carron. Typical grey skies and that gorgeous steely light you only ever seem to get in Scotland.

Scotland20149IMG_8118_zps60eaec40.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

For anyone interested I put together a small video of my first trip over there in my car a couple of weeks ago with my son - every other time I've been was on the motorbikes so this put a different perspective on it for me.

you do have some snake forts / monuments somewhere (East coast IIRC)

also stuff on your own doorstep

edit Misissip

Serpent Mound - Wikipedia

Yes, but they are much more rare.

The thing I was interested in my last trip to Europe was the intergration of old and new, (I know this is not everywhere, but it is very common). You have living homes dating hundreds of years.

Here in the US, especially the Western portion of the country, if something get old, we simply tear it down and rebuild. Very few people live in anything older than the 1950's.

Back