Ellensburg Cowboy Cross

2SHOES

Veteran
Name
Chris
Last night, I went to watch a good friend race in the Ellensburg Cowboy Cross. I took the camera, with the intention of experimenting with motion blur, figuring out how to photograph high speed motion in low light and bright stadium light situations. I'm learning as I go, and after taking more than 7,000 photos, with different settings, starting from bright daylight, and going late into the evening. I learned a ton, more than a ton, just figured out that sweet spot, figured out how to get the most crisp and clear shots, while still showing the motion. None of these are going to be considered amazing, or should be on a magazine cover, but I just wanted to share some of my photos, and if you see something I should try, or some change I should make to get better shots, please let me know, so I can learn from my mistakes.

Many of the settings are probably not "correct" or not the best to be used in the situation I was in, but by making some decisions on the fly, and experimenting, I did end up with some alright photos that I felt good enough to share.

JUMPING-2.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

JUMPING-4.JPG

JUMPING-6.JPG

SCOTT-1.JPG

SCOTT-17.JPG

SCOTT-22.JPG

7000 photos?

:oops:

Wow!
Yes, but that was using the high speed modes of 50 photos per second. Most of those photos are out of focus, or there are flags or things in the way, or some that just aren't great. I've taken as many as 12,000 photos in a single day at a Sprint Boat Race.

You got some nice shots. But, if you are shooting that many photos at one event, I have a feeling you are missing the gestalt of the moment. If it were me, I would shoot a whole lot less and concentrate on the post processing work, especially cropping the photos. Sometimes less is more. I know shooting this type of event is very challenging, because I am terrible at shooting this kind of stuff. It is very hard to shoot sporting events and come away with quality photos. At least for me, it is. Good luck to you.

Back