Leica Elmarit 90mm 2.8

The Elmarit or the Tele-Elmarit?

I have shots with the 1980s Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 before selling it. It's a great, smaller lens.

Those are so pretty Brian :) Just wondering if you have any experience with the older style 90mm Elmarit, the one that comes in chrome and also black and is a really cheap vintage lens. I've been told that it won't work so well on the new M sensor because of the resolving power.

I've used the older Hektor 13.5cm F4.5: the one issue is to be sure to use with a hood. Flare can be an issue. As for resolving power: this is not an issue. Using the M Monochrom with older lenses is wonderful, and it can out-resolve the new M type 240. Most vintage lenses can resolve better than 50lp/mm, which matches the bayer-pattern color filter of the M.

Older Leitz lenses are not going to lose any value- I would suggest that you pick one up, try it, and you can always sell if it does not work out.

First Try with the 90mm 2.8 Elmarit

Managed to "win" this one on ebay. It's a silver one in excellent condition as far as I can see. Finding it very difficult to focus at 2.8 even with the evf.

hristilou1/10964499294/]
10964499294_9c679f8e6d_b.jpg
[/url]
Waiting & Watching by christilou1, on Flickr

My Experience

I have the Leica 90mm f/2.8 lens that was made from 1990 to 2008. I bought it about two years ago, but haven't used it much--although I dreamed and searched for one at a good price for two years.

I prefer wide-angle lenses like 21mm and 35mm. When I have used the 90mm lens, though, I have been surprised at how well it performs. It does particularly well at portraits, which I would not of thought to use.

I bought this lens at an amazingly low price, for about €500. It was in great condition, but had some specks of something inside. It also didn't have the 6-bit coding on the lens flange. Last summer I sent it to Leica in Solms, Germany. They charged me a good bit, but they took apart the lens and cleaned the glass, and aligned the lens. They also put a new 6-bit encoded flange on it and replaced the red alignment dot that was missing. It's a much better lens now, and still cost me less than I could sell it. So I'm very glad to have it.

I really should use it more. It's such a nice lens. Well, at least I've taken care of it.

-Russell

Back