Leica Elmarit 90mm 2.8

Christilou, I ran across two portrait photos I took with the Leica Elmarit-M f/2.8 90mm lens. I know you've already bought a 90mm lens and you're doing well with it. But here are a couple of photos for the future reference of others.

This first one was taken with a Leica M8.2. It wasn't made in a studio setting with studio lights, but I think it's better than the second one. That's the ex-girlfriend, by the way.

russelljtdyer-20131024-leicaplace-leicacl90mm-elena-1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This second one was taken with studio lights and all, but it's not very well composed. I haven't spent much time using this lens, so I haven't learned how to use it in as a portrait lens. I took this one with my Zeiss Ikon film camera. So I wasn't sure what I would get. It takes time to learn a camera and lens combination, especially with a film camera. She's a friend of mine, in case you're wondering.

russelljtdyer-20130709-leicaplace-leicacl90mm-melissa-1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is interesting, I bought the 90mm 2.8 because I didn't want a too sharp lens for portrait but I wondered if mine was a little too unsharp but yours seems to render in much the same way. I much prefer the first, mostly because it fills the frame but also it's not posed. The warmer colour is also much more flattering :) The 90mm is quite difficult to focus but I do have the advantage of the Olympus EVF to fall back on!

Leica M + 90mm Elmarit 2.8

Here's one I took a little while ago, it was taken in tungsten light and I just couldn't get the colour to my liking (the M240 seems to be gaining a reputation for being a bit iffy in mixed lighting although it seems fine in normal outdoors daylight). Anyhow, I gussied it up somewhat. I go back to it from time to time in Lightroom but just can't get the colour right.

11372502926_90ca1c6d9e_b.jpg

Untitled by christilou1, on Flickr

First Try with the 90mm 2.8 Elmarit

. . . Finding it very difficult to focus at 2.8 even with the evf.

Very nice photos. Your exif info shows 1/60 sec exposure. I'm wondering if the low shutter speed is one of the reasons you're having difficulty getting sharp images.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back