Micro 4/3 EM1 Mk II... Is a beast

gryphon1911

Hall of Famer
Name
Andrew
It is a great for sure. Got it last night. Had a chance to use it today for a video shoot I was doing. More in depth review in a few days once I get a chance to really run it.

It handled video like a champ though. Only used in 1080/60. No chance to try the 4k yet.

Initial thoughts:

Larger size and better grip are perfect. Feels like a good DSLR grip, but with less weight.

AF is noticeable better than the EM1. Point to point is more confident, C-AF initial AF acquisition is way quicker. In my limited tracking tests, the tracking box was always spot on.

The shutter sound is quiet and a bit different sounding than the EM1.1. It feels better dampened.

I can't figure out how to change the AF point size. It is large size. The way you change that on previous OMD cameras does not work here and could not find it in the manual.

The front dial has clicks, but is a lot smoother than the 1.1. rear disk feels about the same as the 1.1

Battery is huge compared to BLN-1. As far as life is concerned. Fully charge battery last night. Setup camera, did a few test shots, toyed with the Pro Capture mode and AF settings.

Ran the video shoot today. Camera on continuously for almost 2.5 hours, shot 8 GB of 1080 video, battery at 53%. IBIS was on the whole time, rear LCD used. Came home, did a few more tests with video and shot some stills. Battery at 43%. Battery % is a great feature.

If anyone has any requests/inquiries, let me know. Sample pics, video, feature test whatever.

Attachments

• IMG_20161210_192756.jpg
    IMG_20161210_192756.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 134
For those who are interested in the video aspect of the Mark 2.

Youtube - 4k (should be able to download it)
OneDrive Link for RAW file.

Shot with the Oly 17/1.8
4k/30 (202 bit rate)
1/60, f/4, ISO 400 on tripod IBIS off - shot in the "flat" profile for maximum latitude in grading in post.

I'm going to go out tomorrow and get some 4k and 1080p comparisons as well as get some similar videos with the Nikon D500.

Low light AF test

ISO 6400, f/2.8, 1/60 @40mm

Oly 12-40/2.8 PRO

Target about 5 feet from camera. First part was manually focused at infinity via clutch ring. Clutch reset to AF, shutter pressed. Part 2 is same process but from closest focusing setting.

What sort of a playback device do you need to be able to appreciate the difference between 1080p and 4K? Do you need a 4K TV? I suspect neither my TVs or my 4 year old Mac monitor would know the difference...

-Ray

FYI - The EM1 mk II includes a feature some might like, especially those who like the Ricoh GR.

Olympus included a focusing mode called PreMF. This is for preset manual focus. You go into the Focus select menu and it is the last option. After pressing the OK button, press INFO to go into setting mode. Use manual focus or AF to set the focusing distance, then OK again. Now, the camera will stay locked in the preset focusing distance and it stays there even after power cycling the camera.

IMG_20161212_141519.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IMG_20161212_141526.jpg

IMG_20161212_141552.jpg

As promised, here is a Cinema 4K sample. All hand held. I'm still new to video, so my technique is poor, but I'm always working on getting better. It's just over 2 minutes. Let me know if you have any questions.

Back